Thread: Musk Ox and the majestic peak of Snøhetta

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Musk Ox and the majestic peak of Snøhetta

Attached Images Attached Images

Another frame from the encounter with a lonesome Musk Ox, this time with the mighty peak of the Snøhetta as the backdrop. The vegetation was really reach & very saturated.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Musk Ox (Ovibos moschatus)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500f/4 MKII HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/8 ISO800
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop
    Processed via: LRCC 9.3 & PSCC2020
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely processed but I bet you were hoping for a more complete view of the musk ox. Sorry but he doesn't engage with me, it's tough when you have everything there but they don't pose.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Probably a bit too central and the MOx was a tad too in shade. Shooting up, well... I was just keen to get this guy with the backdrop and vibrant FG. Couldn’t get closure due to guidelines and there wasn’t sadly a workaround Jon. Always worth a punt, but also to try a different subject & location is always cool, it can be challenging but more importantly you get to see new species.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... a stunning contrast in the landscape with lovely intense colors !!!!
    Sadly the image does not grab me in terms of the lovely MuskOx subject .
    Agree with your self critique and can follow your emotions regarding the sighting , but I was not there so do not have them .

TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you Steve,

Interesting compositional angle and utterly breathtaking landscape! The term 'oversaturation' comes to mind, and I am not referring to your processing but to those incredible colours of the vegetation

The way this scene was captured makes me think of you as an 'invisible observer'. Subject is looking away, which creates the impression he was completely unaware of your presence. Or perhaps he was avoiding a full-face encounter?

Image well processed as always and techs look great, my only wish is that the Musk Ox was positioned more to the left of the frame... but I did read your intro and understand the limitations.

Thank you so much for sharing,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, the colors in the FG ! I like it, its a different take, and by that I mean that the musk ox is not full in wiew. The colors in the Fg are just beautiful and with the BG create a pleasing look ( or atmosphere). Contrary to gabriela I think you placed the MO verry well in the frame. Steve, if you look at the ox's back ( the curve of it) it paralels that of the peak in the Bg, and I think you had this in mind when you composed the image. Did you lift the shadows from his face?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't know, when I first looked I didn't really care for it. But, the more i look the more i like it. It is a nice setting espcially with that mountain in the background. The colors in the foreground are great.