Thank You Posts

Very nice Expression.

I like the eye.

TFS

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Can't get much better than that in terms of clarity of expression David. So well exposed and processed plus a super BG make this a real winner. TFS

5. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, nice portrait of a Anhinga female. I think if you lowered the brightness/highlights on the white more detail in that area would show. The eye might show better if the second catch light and reflection was removed in Photoshop. Perfect background, lovely colors. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

7. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabulous! Love the expression, detail, and lighting. I echo Joseph's comments, but those are really, really minor in the grand scheme. I might move him a smidge to the right as well. But not much!

9. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

IQ is excellent.
    Gail

11. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, very strong frame. The color pops, expression is awesome and love the plush bkg.

Comp works for me too.

PS - in one of Joe's Anhinga posts I commented that the feathers looked crunchy. I might otherwise think the same here but I'm guessing this is just how they look. No personal experience with one.

Nicely done sir!

13. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    David, very strong frame. The color pops, expression is awesome and love the plush bkg.

Comp works for me too.

PS - in one of Joe's Anhinga posts I commented that the feathers looked crunchy. I might otherwise think the same here but I'm guessing this is just how they look. No personal experience with one.

Nicely done sir!
    The feathers of an anhinga's neck look like fur and when wet can shine in strong light. This female had just perched to dry some before bed. It was a very clear, cold (for Floridian 60 F, haha) and dry (again for Florida). Having said that, I have noticed when I get to final SH step for presentation with R6 files, I feel like it's already sharp enough. But I do it with very low settings. I did some research and may have found a better setting in DPP. I'll discuss in my next post even though I hadn't tried yet. Stay tuned...

ps
    In general folks on this forum like a little more sharpening than is my personal preference. Personal preference does come into it.
    Last edited by David Roach; 12-02-2020 at 05:27 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David .... a fine clean image !!!!
    Great expression.

Personally I think maybe a smidge too punchy in the color section , matter of taste , so no deal breaker for me .
    Image has the " wrong " color profile embedded for web presentation as it should be in sRGB but this image is in Adobe RGB .... so this might be the reason .
    Agree with you about the subjective or perceptual sharpness .... I think it is just on the edge of being a tiny bit too much .

I would also be interested which picture style you are using in DPP , as it makes big difference how the image is finally looking at output . My personal feeling is you are using one of the more contrasty and colorful styles .... I personally always start with neutral and contrast set to - 2 ( or even - 4 ) and then build up the image . But this is just my way ....

TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi David .... a fine clean image !!!!
    Great expression.

Personally I think maybe a smidge too punchy in the color section , matter of taste , so no deal breaker for me .
    Image has the " wrong " color profile embedded for web presentation as it should be in sRGB but this image is in Adobe RGB .... so this might be the reason .
    Agree with you about the subjective or perceptual sharpness .... I think it is just on the edge of being a tiny bit too much .

I would also be interested which picture style you are using in DPP , as it makes big difference how the image is finally looking at output . My personal feeling is you are using one of the more contrasty and colorful styles .... I personally always start with neutral and contrast set to - 2 ( or even - 4 ) and then build up the image . But this is just my way ....

TFS Andreas
    Hi Andreas,
    Good to have you back in the Avian forum. Your singular expertise has been missed. In Canon DPP the in camera Picture Style does not apply to raw processing. Canon states this clearly in the User Guide. Any contrast or color style in this image is my doing in my PP with DPP and PS. As I am partially color blind I tend to boost color to see better. Not to mention, my PP skills are middling at best. I will say the output from this sensor is so clean when compared to the "R", I'm trying to have a much lighter touch in PP. I do not miss those 10mpix at all. This was a big surprise to me...
    Peace,
    David

ps
    I do agree on the sharpening and have now set SH strength to 1 in DPP. It was set to 2 for the R sensor. All part of the learning curve. So, are you saying I should change in camera setting to sRGB?
    Last edited by David Roach; 12-03-2020 at 05:29 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks David .. and sorry that I forgot your issues with the color !!!!

Regarding the `picture style `you are right about the `in camera `settings ... hope you are having fun with the new camera . And for sure it always a learning curve !!

Cheers Andreas

18. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David if you are having `color issues `.... would it not be a good idea to get your hands on `color correction by the numbers `??? To avoid unwanted or `false`colors !!!
    And remember to change the embedded color profile to sRGB for web presentation !!!

20. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post