Thread: Loggerhead Shrike

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Loggerhead Shrike

Attached Images Attached Images

This bird has the nickname of Butcher Bird, know for killing prey sometimes as large as it self then impaling the prey on a stick, thorn or prong of barbed wire. This activity secures the prey for feeding. I captured this image along Joe Overstreet Road. The pastures and sod farms bordering this road attract many Loggerhead Shrike to the area. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 500mm F/5.6 VR AF-S ED PF, image captured handheld through the open window of the vehicle
    1/1250 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +2/3 ISO 1400 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 500mm (750mm 35mm equivalent)
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2021 and Neat Image for noise reduction when needed
    Cropped slightly for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fine shot Jo, I like the tones, the detail in the lores is good as is that in the plumage. I think I would have not cropped quite so tight but maybe there was good reason for this.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such clarity ,well exposed and that eye, BG uniform and killer (must be JP)... TFS
    ps
    I love the framing...

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice detail in the whites, maybe a little to centered.

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe, man you got close here? Nicely shot.

I know the forum's swaying the other direction but I'd be one for just a touch more depth in the blacks. Not to erase the super detail you captured, but Shrikes I see are generally strong in the black band across the eyes.

Great suggestions on composition; opening a little on the left might make a notable impact.

Oh - also seems there are 2-3 white cloning marks or at least white blurs just left of the subject and far left upper corner.
    Last edited by Brian Sump; 11-30-2020 at 11:52 PM.

9. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Joe, man you got close here? Nicely shot.

I know the forum's swaying the other direction but I'd be one for just a touch more depth in the blacks. Not to erase the super detail you captured, but Shrikes I see are generally strong in the black band across the eyes.

Great suggestions on composition; opening a little on the left might make a notable impact.

Oh - also seems there are 2-3 white cloning marks or at least white blurs just left of the subject and far left upper corner.
    Hi Brian, thank you for viewing and commenting. Regarding the depth of the blacks on the lore, probably could go darker. I will make a virtual copy and see how much I can go without losing detail in the blacks. The 2-3 lighter marks are falling rain, there was a off and on rain showers all the time we were there. No cloning or work on the background. That is why I love going to Joe Overstreet Road for the pure backgrounds the pastures and sod farms provide although the perches are mostly fence posts or barbed wire. Thanks again, Brian, I always like your suggestions and comments.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi Brian, thank you for viewing and commenting. Regarding the depth of the blacks on the lore, probably could go darker. I will make a virtual copy and see how much I can go without losing detail in the blacks. The 2-3 lighter marks are falling rain, there was a off and on rain showers all the time we were there. No cloning or work on the background. That is why I love going to Joe Overstreet Road for the pure backgrounds the pastures and sod farms provide although the perches are mostly fence posts or barbed wire. Thanks again, Brian, I always like your suggestions and comments.
    Joe, glad to hear that :-)

Ok, makes total sense on the rain drops now. Maybe you might choose to extract them since there aren't many across the frame. Either way, very small nit.

12. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe,

Love the crouched pose on weathered post. Great head turn, fine feather detail, and beautiful greens in the background. I too find Joe Overstreet Road a excellent location. Would love to return there some day.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

14. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla