Thread: Moose (Alces alces)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Moose (Alces alces)

Attached Images Attached Images

A rework (hopefully for the better), I am not sure if I previously submitted this particular image, but you will have seen similar.
    Image captured at Gros Ventre Yellowstone 2016.

Canon EOS-1D X
    Focal Length : 400.0mm (100-400) L IS II
    ISO : 2500
    Exposure compensation : +0.3 EV
    Shutter : 1/250 sec
    Aperture : F5.6

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,

Thank you so much for sharing, do not think I have seen this before I like the pose from the Moose and those different types of plants/vegetation included in the frame. So much to look at, almost wish you shot wider, the environment in the Yellowstone must be stunning!

Nice POV and BG is great. Muzzle to eyes I think the subject is fairly sharp, perhaps a tad more DoF would have been better. Wish for more SS too, if I remember well the 1Dx delivered pretty clean images at high ISO.

Overall I like this image a lot, and very curious what the others have to say...Not sure about the colours as I only have my laptop available tonight, thought I noticed a bit of magenta in the Moose's coat but I don't trust this old monitor. Did you lift the shadows/blacks at all?

Hope you have a good week ahead, for me it is the busiest time of the year at work so I might be a little scarce, nevertheless will pop in as often as I can

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hy John, a very nice image of a moose. I like the way the various colors in the Fg and BG blend together and compliment the subject. The moose has a relaxed look, I really like the way its eras are turned in different directions. I lke the detail in the coat of the moose. PP wise, I think its better to let the others speak, cant even spot the magenta Gabriela was talking about

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, Dan, thanks for your comments. Regarding the magenta, there was indeed some magenta in the coat at raw conversion, I managed to reduce most, In PP I reduced further (likewise I kept an eye on Blue). Shutter speed - from what i recall I varied it to ensure at least some images were sharp, I was hand holding so I must have reckoned this was the ideal minimum speed at the time baring in mind subject, movement or momentarily no movement and focal length.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very nice image Jon, the comp colours, falloff and DOF in the vegetation/habitat works well here, I hear you re. S/S but as you were H/H I still would have opted for a very min of 1/500s+ and kept the EV at 0 (P/P later) granting you a S/S increase, and pushed the ISO more on the DX.

I'm not seeing any magenta (on my 3 NEC cal monitors) in the coat, overall a pleasing portrait.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks nice and sharp to me. The 100-400 II has some nice IS. I like the framing. The colors in the background are a bonus. Good detail.