Thread: Another Jacana in flight

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Another Jacana in flight

Attached Images Attached Images

Following on from the feedback I received in my last post (including Dorian's suggestions) here's another frame of the Jacana in flight, taken on the same morning. I also decided to try for a faster shutter speed, as these birds are quite small and fly very fast. Cheers.

D500/500PF, 1/5000th sec, f8, iso2500, manual mode HH.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul:

Really like the angle in frame, dangling, giant feet, full down pose, pop of red crest. Bright light, but well handled. I might trim 10% from the top, but just personal taste.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy: thanks for the feedback...much appreciated.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super action - well caught,, I would be inclined to reduce contrast on the bird just a fraction - I think this may reduce the brightness on the neck and cheek and perhaps reveal a little more detail in the darker plumage.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan. Good point...will give that a go. Cheers

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Paul, a very favorable flight pose on this one and beautiful canvas.

I never had any D500 shots over ISO 2000 come out great, but I was also less experienced shooting then. This one looks ever so slightly grainy in body and feathers but pretty good in terms of noise from my view.

What was your PP worfklow/steps? The eye and the crown really pop in terms of color and smoothness from the rest of the bird but perhaps that's how they appear. A species I've never shot.

Also, possible there's just a bit of blue cast on the subject? Feel like Randy's suggestion on shaving the top a bit could help.

Really nice execution on this capture Paul!
    Last edited by Brian Sump; 12-01-2020 at 12:58 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian. Thanks for the feedback/comments. Regarding my workflow, I use ACR to adjust exposure, shadows/highlights etc to a point that I'm happy with. Then into PS to crop, Topaz NR and other adjustments. In this particular image I tried not to overdo the saturation (as in my last post) but added just a little saturation to the bird's crest. I also use luminosity masks as needed...in this case the neck area, although it was not blown out to start with. I checked the raw file for this one and there's just a hint of blue in the wings area, but I do see your point here...perhaps there's a little more than there should be here. I did lower the luminance of the eye a tad too, to bring out the blue section. I'm quite happy with the final image though. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    Hi Brian. Thanks for the feedback/comments. Regarding my workflow, I use ACR to adjust exposure, shadows/highlights etc to a point that I'm happy with. Then into PS to crop, Topaz NR and other adjustments. In this particular image I tried not to overdo the saturation (as in my last post) but added just a little saturation to the bird's crest. I also use luminosity masks as needed...in this case the neck area, although it was not blown out to start with. I checked the raw file for this one and there's just a hint of blue in the wings area, but I do see your point here...perhaps there's a little more than there should be here. I did lower the luminance of the eye a tad too, to bring out the blue section. I'm quite happy with the final image though. Cheers.
    As you should be. A very nice frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your best BIF yet!
    Agree with a bit off the top.
    Only way to improve this image is to shoot in early light.
    Well done!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just the wing positions by themselves make this image a lot better than the previous you posted. Much more appealing!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think this a Really nice image!! Best one you have posted.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A super capture. Excellent flight angle, nice look at the face. Ditto comments above re. slight crop from top, and perhaps slight reduction in contrast. But I'd be jumping for joy with this one.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much to all for the kind words/feedback...very much appreciated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is awesome! Pose is perfect, and I think the face/head/neck look better on this one that the last. I agree about trimming a bit off the top. Getting rid of those bright things would put me focus on the bird. Great work!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian. Really appreciate your feedback. Yes to trimming the "white things". Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Almost missed this one. I am glad that I did not. It is the best image you have ever posted: spectacular! Killer bird, perfect flight pose, super sharp. Great colors!

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

And I forgot to mention the feet!

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie: Thank you so much...I guess I'll keep taking photos then...lol Cheers!