Thread: Looking for you

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Looking for you

Attached Images Attached Images

This was taken in the Sd Badlands National Park I was up on the plateau when the ewes started running for the canyon for no apparent reason. The Rams following close behind and I thought I would drop over the treacherous side unstable ground and footing.
    As the badlands are made up of clay which crumbles under foot. Not the easiest to compose a shot but the subject cooperated as I took many shots and this was one of the best without a shadow.Light was starting to get strong.I was hoping for a lip curl.
    Processed in Dpp 4,Photoshop,Topaz noise.No crop full frame. I know too tight for me on the left.Comments and critiques appreciated.
    Canon 1 DX 111
    100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS 11
    371 mm
    f/10
    Manual
    1/1600
    Iso 2000

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I very much like the looking up POV here Kevin, something I think I may have mentioned a while back, but agree, it's too tight and with that zoom... You must have been quite close as I would have expected more in view with a DoF of f/10. Looks like he's been in a few battles based on the chipped horns. Did you lighten or do any work on the eyes? That shadow area looks lifted as I think I can see some colour noise I think, but there is some detail loss in those darker areas as the blue channels looks a little clipped. Having the hint of grass in view I also like, gives some context, all blue sky may have been a bit too sterile.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot love the viewpoint I like big in the frame but not quite so big, if you have a little more space all round I would be inclined to make use of it. Colours and details look good, a fine shot, I got close when I was there....... but not that close - well done.
    The right eye I think had the third eyelid half traversing the eye ball - is that what is bothering you Steve?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve I do remember you suggesting looking up and the canyon offered that opportunity. I did do some work on the eyes brighten a little I did use the brush tool quite a bit . I did have that red color cast and some green.I agree with the blue sky. I did have some clouds but just couldn't squeeze them in.
    I do have some other frames that aren't as tight.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for he comments Jonathan . I knew it was tight but I do like big in the frame style. I do have some others that aren't as tight.Their were three pretty good size rams in this group and two dropped down in the canyon but this guy hung around on top for awhile.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with the blue sky. I did have some clouds but just couldn't squeeze them in. I do have some other frames that aren't as tight.
    That's a shame Kevin as the clouds would have been really cool, even double process to have them in.

I don't normally agree to using other frames, but if you had more to the LHS and same distance, process the first raw, copy and past the setting into the other raw, export both, extend the canvas and drop the other raw in, then reveal the extra via a mask, crop to the original settings, then carry on in PS.

I did do some work on the eyes brighten a little I did use the brush tool quite a bit .
    That's what I thought, they look odd based on the lighting, revert back to 'as shot'.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is 'right up my alley' Kevin, love close-ups, great pose from the subject and POV a huge bonus here, lovely work in the field

Read your conversation with Steve and I agree on all points. Hmmm... if you have those clouds I would be interested to see an RP including them, even if the process requires a little 'manipulation'

Very kin to see more from you,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent POV Kevin, liked those eyes and big horns.

Details are slightly soft for my taste. Colours do look quite good.

I see a few dust specks in the top LHS top corner as viewed.

Nice one, TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

An imposing in your face shot indeed Kevin, overall colour and details look good here, granted its a little tight but that shouldn't take away from a pleasing portrait.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You have addressed the tightness. But, it is a great portrait. The blue sky goes great with the ram. Nice pose and detail. Get to witness any cool battles there?