Thread: Out for another branch...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Out for another branch...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R6 RF 100-500 @500 f7.1 1/3200 ISO 640 HH, Manual mode EXP, acquired and tracked in AED, Cropped from bottom because I almost clipped that wing

Yes, flying slightly away. This was second frame in about 7 frame sequence with one that fell off (probably my lack of panning skills even on slow birds) but jumped right back on without backing off , or letting go of button. It had the eye in half the frames and the head or neck for the other half. Set for smooth EVF and experienced no discernable blackout. I believe this was first curtain mechanical mode. Haven't tried electronic shutter yet. Whole morning the AF was set for Case 2 with -1 on tracking sensitivity. Seemed to hold on the bird even with slightly challenging BG. So many settings , need to play a lot more. Since it was mostly cloudy and had new toy, stayed for 5 hours and tested higher ISOs. This was the only time the sun peeked through the whole morning. Good thing had battery grip. It just lasted through the entire 5 hour session. That would normally be two trips for me on average.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This was second frame in about 7 frame sequence with one that fell off (probably my lack of panning skills even on slow birds)
    Also check the lens Mode too David.

Is it heat haze in the BKG, you can easily add more above David.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Also check the lens Mode too David.

Is it heat haze in the BKG, you can easily add more above David.

TFS
    Steve
    Reason (for tracking test) I posted this image is that I am further from the bird (but still close for 500mm) than the bird to BG distance(even closer). So ,way less compression (at 7.1) and the BG is brought in and not smooth looking. I think this is what you are referring to. In addition the bird, during this sequence of images was flying even closer to that BG. It really did not seem to affect the stickiness of focus to the subject with a fairly difficult BG to AF against in general. I was in IS 3 mode as that seems to work better when I am tracking a stationary(but active) bird about to fly. This is common with these nests. In addition, as I already stated the AED was either right on the eye, head or neck. All small areas to stay on against the ever closer bramble. So, not bad with the case 2 settings. Need to practice and learn more about what this rig can accomplish for BIF. With R this situation would be very frustrating. I am very far from even middling expertise on BIF. I think this rig will serve me well as I improve.

Thanks as always for all very valued comments, Please, keep them coming.

ps
    And Steve, I'd prefer to get less sloppy with my panning and composition in flight before using the canvas extension. I do appreciate the info as always...
    Last edited by David Roach; 11-27-2020 at 09:09 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp for sure. BKGR very dominant because of the proximity to the subject. What is AED? Obviously needs more room above.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Sharp for sure. BKGR very dominant because of the proximity to the subject. What is AED? Obviously needs more room above.

with love, artie
    Auto Eye Detection

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

When you anticipate flight action, don't forget to zoom out! I had to teach myself, and remind myself of that constantly, when I used the 100-400 more often. Subject is sharp, and colours excellent.

9. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    When you anticipate flight action, don't forget to zoom out! I had to teach myself, and remind myself of that constantly, when I used the 100-400 more often. Subject is sharp, and colours excellent.
    Great advice. Not only would it have avoided the almost clipped wing, would have opened up aperture and sent the BG further out of focus. You da man. Thanks for the valued advice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    Auto Eye Detection

Thanks, David.

Is Auto Eye Detection a single setting or a combination? I am testing an R5 and do not see AED.

thanks with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am testing an R5 and do not see AED.
    Artie, Purple menu, first section > Select to detect > Animals. Then Eye Detection > Enable (from memory).
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks, David.

Is Auto Eye Detection a single setting or a combination? I am testing an R5 and do not see AED.

thanks with love, a
    Not from memory cause I gots none anymore;
    AF menu AF method to face with square icon next,
    Subject to Detect set to animals next,
    Eye detection set to Enable
    Probably should put one button on alternative single point AF method for when it can't find eye (subject in a bramble)
    I also have one for Large middle array

So far, three times out, I like case 2 with sensitivity all the way back. There are so many ways to setup, I'm sure after an outing or two, you'll tell me what works best. So weird to let it find the eye, then recompose as it stays there. Be sure to ignore power saving modes (off) and set display to smooth (virtually no lag),
    Last edited by David Roach; 11-30-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    Not from memory cause I gots none anymore;
    AF menu AF method to face with square icon next,
    Subject to Detect set to animals next,
    Eye detection set to Enable
    Probably should put one button on alternative single point AF method for when it can't find eye (subject in a bramble)
    I also have one for Large middle array

So far, three times out, I like case 2 with sensitivity all the way back. There are so many ways to setup, I'm sure after an outing or two, you'll tell me what works best. So weird to let it find the eye, then recompose as it stays there. Be sure to ignore power saving modes (off) and set display to smooth (virtually no lag),
    Thanks, David. I believe that Canon calls what you describe "
    Face detection + Tracking/AI Servo AF"

with love, a

ps: See
    tomorrow's blog post for my take on
    Face detection + Tracking/AI Servo AF.