Thread: White-tail buck

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-tail buck

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 9/7/20 at 6:32PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Canon 500 f/4 IS USM
    ISO 5000
    f5.6
    1/320sec

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, at ISO5000 it's not bad, but can be improved, ditto colour too. I would loose the leg and try to address the streak in the BKG around the muzzle. As the head is slightly angled towards you you needed a bit more DoF as the muzzle appears soft. I would try to tame the brighter elements in the rack.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear John,

Given those techs above I gather light was not in your favour. But clearly you did your best in the field, under the circumstances. This is a good portrait with nice detail in places but must agree with Steve, muzzle appears a bit soft - not enough DoF or perhaps a little movement from the subject?

A slight green cast in the whites, easy fix. Pose is nice with a good view of the rack. Would crop from the bottom to eliminate the leg.

Looking at your images lately my overall impression is that you know your subjects very well and where conditions permit DoF is usually spot-on. What you still need to work on is paying attention to detail ( little bits and bobs that can make your subject stand out) thus creating images that not only appeal to you, but which tell the story to others.

I am not particularly skilled when it comes to PP work but spend a great deal of time trying to improve my images after receiving feedback from others. I have yet to see an RP from you, or replies to our comments - after all, we are all here to learn from each other

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I find it a little soft as mentioned, taming those tones will increase apparent sharpness.

7. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John keep the fly. I like this lots could do some of the improvements that Steve mentioned. Biggest for me is the streak coming off the nose.I never had one this well done with the 1V at ISO 5000 The blood and velvet tell the story well. Nice image and TFS.

9. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty late on this John but a nice work inspite of the high ISO. Agree with crop and sharpening suggestions.

Nice one, TFS !

11. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Granted you're at the ISO limits for the 5D IV, and the small nits in the BG and antler HL's, this portrait tells the story nicely, well done John.

TFS

13. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post