Thread: Amenable friend...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Amenable friend...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R6 RF 100-500 @500 f7.1 1/400 ISO 3200 HH, Manual EXP

Went all morning, including some flight, without ever having to manually focus on the eye. Just point at the bird, let it acquire, then compose. Per Steve's request, lightened a wee bit.
    Last edited by David Roach; 11-25-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just point at the bird, let it acquire, then compose.
    This is where the old 'skills' become lost IMHO as it almost becomes point and shoot, but shooting with the R5 & 6 is so easy, this looks so much better than the images of the R David. Perhaps a hint more DoF to have the tip in focus, I'm guessing the head was slightly angled to you. Killer BKG!

OK, I'm on the MB pro, but I do find the image a bit dark David, and to me carrying a lot of blue in the plumage, but perhaps they are, rather than the 'grey' one's over here? Even so, just opening the image up, shows a lot more detail & sharpening you originally applied.

Have fun and utilise those buttons on the back, customise them and enjoy.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    This is where the old 'skills' become lost IMHO as it almost becomes point and shoot, but shooting with the R5 & 6 is so easy, this looks so much better than the images of the R David. Perhaps a hint more DoF to have the tip in focus, I'm guessing the head was slightly angled to you. Killer BKG!

OK, I'm on the MB pro, but I do find the image a bit dark David, and to me carrying a lot of blue in the plumage, but perhaps they are, rather than the 'grey' one's over here? Even so, just opening the image up, shows a lot more detail & sharpening you originally applied.

Have fun and utilise those buttons on the back, customise them and enjoy.

TFS
    Steve
    Yep felt like I was cheating... It also works well in flight and yes this sensor and the RF glass are made for each other. as far as noise, 3200 feels like the old 1600 etc... Yes, they do have the deeper blue as they are entering breeding season soon. I setup one back button for single point and other for AED. I got there in the dark, 20 minutes before sunrise and the AED even worked well then.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

RF glass are made for each other.
    EF works just as well David, glad to hear you are panning your days.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

6. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

EF works just as well David, glad to hear you are panning your days.
    Yes, I know. I was talking more about Canon designing these bodies to be low light (small aperture) capable for AF and noise. Faster glass will of course always be better but we are moving to good IQ even with slower. Thanks again for the valued inputs, mate.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose, exposure, sharpness and sweet BG. Well done David.

9. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, nice portrait of a Tri-color Heron. Pure background, sharp detail on the feathers look good. I think the image is better after being lightened from when I first took a look at it. I am not sure about your discussion with Steve regarding the camera focusing, or choosing where to focus. Call me old fashioned but I want to decide where I put the single focus point, tis why I use a monopod so I can hold focus exactly where I want. Thank you for sharing, nice image.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

11. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bang on portrait. The pose is right on. I also like that background. Framing works very well.

13. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Call me old fashioned but I want to decide where I put the single focus point, tis why I use a monopod so I can hold focus exactly where I want.
    I agree Joe, but when you see Animal Eye Detection in action it does take a lot of 'issues' out and perhaps in certain situations can lock-on, quicker than moving the FP. That said, there are instance where manually placing the FP is required, it all stems IMHO on the situation. Having the FP on the eye is paramount in my book, but, there are times also where moving the FP away to maximise 1/3-2/3 focus distance can come into play too.

Not sure how using a mono pod comes into play other than for stability, however Joe, you have shown it works for you and that is great.

There are some great advancements in existence and coming out to aid capturing the image, but will there be a point at which we will go as far as we can, but that might just be in our thinking.

15. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, CONGRATS!!! Glad to see the R6 in your hands.

Agreed, AED feels unfair esp with stationary birds. You can hold the focus button, recompose wherever you want and it still keeps focus on the eye. So cool!

So I wish I could see the original. This one looks very very nice but seeing it pre-lightening would have been nice.

Looks really clean, sharp and I like the composition a lot. Yeah, getting the bill tip would be great but still nice frame.

17. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats on the new camera! A friend of mine got an R5 and let me try it for a few minutes...I had a tough time giving it back lol. Great looking heron with tons of nice feather textures. Perfect BG. A great start with the new gear!

19. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Congrats on the new camera! A friend of mine got an R5 and let me try it for a few minutes...I had a tough time giving it back lol. Great looking heron with tons of nice feather textures. Perfect BG. A great start with the new gear!
    One (of many) of the things I love about your images is always the framing. It has always been difficult, in the split second we have, to keep focus point correct while framing correctly. With AED and ability to focus across the entire frame, this body is a joy. They might as well remove one shot in my opinion.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It has always been difficult, in the split second we have, to keep focus point correct while framing correctly. With AED and ability to focus across the entire frame, this body is a joy. They might as well remove one shot in my opinion.
    David, remember the camera needs to be driven, the updates and camera bodies these days are design to aid you in getting and achieving the capture, where previously we may have struggled. So, it's the person behind the camera and his/her vision, the camera just captures the moment in the best way it can based on how you have told the camera to operate, it's only as good as the owner.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, remember the camera needs to be driven, the updates and camera bodies these days are design to aid you in getting and achieving the capture, where previously we may have struggled. So, it's the person behind the camera and his/her vision, the camera just captures the moment in the best way it can based on how you have told the camera to operate, it's only as good as the owner.
    Yes Steve, that is soo true. In ways this rig even makes it more complex. To truly cover all situations, you need to have at least 2 to 3 AF methods at the ready, again in a split second, to best utilize this tool. Lots of learning to be had.