Thread: Rusty Blackbird

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rusty Blackbird

Attached Images Attached Images

Going back through old files, I revisited this image of a female Rusty Blackbird from 5 years ago. A small group of them was paying a brief visit to a nearby marshy woodland area, their favored habitat. Conditions that evening were cold, wet and uncomfortable. She is shown here exhibiting typical leaf-tossing behavior. The species is one of the most threatened songbird species in North America, having lost something like 90% of their numbers over the past half-century, due to loss of marshy woodland habitat and possibly mercury contamination.

D7200, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 2500, 1/500s @ f/7.1 manual. SB-700 @ -1.7 EV.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You've captured the "cold, wet, uncomfortable" atmosphere really well with image, and yes, rusty tones. Love the tones on the bird and "treacle-like" foreground texture. Something different for sure and it works so well. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the back story Bill.
    This is lovely- they are such pretty birds.
    I love the behavior displayed and the rusty leaf that compliments the blackbird perfectly.
    Gail

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, I like the idea of shooting something in more 'challenging' light, but both IQ and PP isn't quite up there with your normal postings. Details look harsh and the environment very blotchy and what looks like a lot of NR applied, sorry Bill.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the image Bill and I suspect it could look pretty good, but in terms of processing and NR I would suggest less is more, the image is very heavy and it looks as if you have beaten the blacks into submission with the NR, I would suggest a lighter hand and see what you think.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the mood of the image but I'd have to agree, the image looks over processed.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all for your comments. I hesitated to post this one; I knew the IQ wasn't up to par, but I shared it because it was a somewhat rare bird (at least in my area), exhibiting a signature behavior. Your comments made me take another look at the processing I did back in 2015, so I've taken another stab at it. This one has much less contrast, perhaps less NR, and some lifting of the blacks. Very different, probably better.