Thread: Dawn's trailing light...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dawn's trailing light...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R RF 100-500 RF 2xtc @1000 f14 1/125 ISO 1600 , HH, Manual EXP, FF

Just post dawn, light gets stronger directionality through wispy clouds, enough diffuse light left for backlit yet detailed.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, nice close up headshot of a female Anhinga. Nice pure background that could be improved by smoothing out the out of focus vegetation. On my display the image has a magenta color cast, try moving the tint slider towards green or maybe add green to the image. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat subject, and great anytime we can get close! Sharp. Too tight at left, and a heavy colour cast brought this down for me. On the repost I added canvas at left and cropped at right to retain the ratio. I also added lots of yellows, greens, and reds to taste in "Color balance" and then removed the remaining magenta and blue casts by reducing the saturation on those respective colors. Maybe a bit too "neutral" now but I hope you get the gist.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Neat subject, and great anytime we can get close! Sharp. Too tight at left, and a heavy colour cast brought this down for me. On the repost I added canvas at left and cropped at right to retain the ratio. I also added lots of yellows, greens, and reds to taste in "Color balance" and then removed the remaining magenta and blue casts by reducing the saturation on those respective colors. Maybe a bit too "neutral" now but I hope you get the gist.
    Thanks gents for the help. Since my R6 is coming tomorrow, Ima trying to get better at creating FF images (only 20 mpx now).... One day I'll be maybe a 1/4 as good as you "Dan the Man..."
    Peace,
    David

ps
    I have learned, with this body to back off magenta in DPP and then add warmth in PS camera raw when image is created in low light. I did neither for this post and even though I see colors, it's not the actual accurate colors. I just can't do it by feel, so thanks...

6. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super close view of that spear-like beak! Detail is outstanding. The original is hella pink, but Daniel's report addresses that nicely. Would love to see another on a super clean BG (which I'm sure you'll get in the next few weeks with your new rig).

8. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David: Agree with the positives here...that's a super detailed close up. I must admit that I would try to smooth out the oof BG (or spend quite some time cloning), but it's a killer as is. Cheers.

10. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, I like the slightly angled head and beneath all the colour cast, it is a sharp image. I know it must be hard to obtaining a good WB David and I feel you have almost mastered it in may postings, I just not sure is there is a 'checker' system you can do to finally reduce this part? I totally agree with Dan and needing more to the LHS. The BKG colours are slightly distracting and you could temperate with a simple mask, if you so choose, but then allow some of the tonal values to come through, just to break it up and retain some of the original, otherwise it could look quite sterile with just a solid colour. Very quickly done on the laptop, so not ideal from my POV, but it may offer some food for thought, love the detail around the eye.

TFS
    Steve

PS The green along the back is from the original.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

12. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi David, I like the slightly angled head and beneath all the colour cast, it is a sharp image. I know it must be hard to obtaining a good WB David and I feel you have almost mastered it in may postings, I just not sure is there is a 'checker' system you can do to finally reduce this part? I totally agree with Dan and needing more to the LHS. The BKG colours are slightly distracting and you could temperate with a simple mask, if you so choose, but then allow some of the tonal values to come through, just to break it up and retain some of the original, otherwise it could look quite sterile with just a solid colour. Very quickly done on the laptop, so not ideal from my POV, but it may offer some food for thought, love the detail around the eye.

TFS
    Steve

PS The green along the back is from the original.
    As always, thank you for the help. I will confess I rather like the hint of environment in BG and know I'm definitely in the minority on that. But I had a thought/question for all astute helpers. As I have researched and know in most Canon bodies AWB will produce heavy magenta casts. Is there a good kelvin setting (in camera) which will give easier baseline for me to work from. It would be great if a certain setting would get better baseline(for me) from low light through golden hours. Any suggestions if this feasible for me. I realize it would only be a baseline and still have to be tweaked in PP. If you think this might help what value would you suggest. If it's a dumb idea, I can take the feedback.
    Thanks, as always, for the valued inputs and learnings.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, I still would keep the camera set to AWB, but try changing the 'Picture style' to Faithful, or Neutral. Take this raw, create a virtual copy, or another frame and simple change it within DPP, how does it look?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.