Thread: Feather Care...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Feather Care...

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image of a preening American White Pelican at Lake Morton in Lakeland, Florida. Amazing the dexterity the bird has with such a long bill. my first thought was that it would be like to try to comb my hair with a pair of barbecue tongs, but the bird is able to separate single feathers for grooming. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 500mm F/5.6 VR AF-S ED PF, camera and lens supported by a monopod
    1/2000 F/5.6 Highlight-weighted Metering EV +1/3 ISO 180 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 500mm
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2021 and Neat Image for noise reduction when needed, smoothed a few darker areas in the background with the Paintbrush in Photoshop
    Cropped slightly for composition and presentation

P.S. Learn more about Lake Morton in the BAA Middle Florida Photography Site Guide that Artie and I co-authored. It is available at this link The BAA Middle of Florida Site Guide
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the different pose on this beauty with that extended neck to reach the hard parts. Composition works well for me for this canvas. I might dodge the necks shadow just a tad more. Another beautiful frame from you... TFS

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Super image Joe, love the framing and great detail. As the eye is almost open here, I think it would have been nice to have be fully open, but hey... My only comment would be, try to get the whites cleaner, the image then pops and being almost 'pristine' the detail really comes through and shows what a great capture you bagged.

Joe, blue BKG your call along with the colouration of the bill, just trying to illustrate my comment re the white plumage, but done on the MBPro so I might be off a fraction.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the image -- was this this season? And I like Steve's BLUEs a bit better.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I like the image -- was this this season? And I like Steve's BLUEs a bit better.

with love, artie
    Hi Artie, yes this week at Lake Morton.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Super image Joe, love the framing and great detail. As the eye is almost open here, I think it would have been nice to have be fully open, but hey... My only comment would be, try to get the whites cleaner, the image then pops and being almost 'pristine' the detail really comes through and shows what a great capture you bagged.

Joe, blue BKG your call along with the colouration of the bill, just trying to illustrate my comment re the white plumage, but done on the MBPro so I might be off a fraction.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, for the suggestions and edit. I will work on getting the whites cleaner and the blue background. Stay healthy...
    Joe Przybyla

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Joe, may be use PS more and try to do less within LR, you are so close with these images I just feel that you try to do too much in LR and it may not be the right tool.

Stay safe too.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

11. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot, i really like the glint in the birds eye!

13. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thank you Joe, may be use PS more and try to do less within LR, you are so close with these images I just feel that you try to do too much in LR and it may not be the right tool.

Stay safe too.
    Hi Steve, I hear you but Lightroom makes what you do in Photoshop easier. Thank you for the encouragement.
    Joe Przybyla

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla