Thread: Common darter (Sympetrum striolatum)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common darter (Sympetrum striolatum)

Attached Images Attached Images

I have posted a similar image previously, this one has been processed differently, I am keen to gauge your opinion.

Olympus : E-M1X
    Lens focal length : 60 mm
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 120.0mm
    Metering mode : Pattern
    ISO Sensitivity : 200
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    Exposure time : 1/200 sec
    F number : F5.6
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Flash : OFF
    ACR/Topaz DNAI/PSCC
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 11-19-2020 at 08:07 AM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you Jon,

This is pretty amazing, wow! I am considering buying a Macro Lens and spending some time at the little pond in my garden

Perfect framing here, I also like the prominent 'perch' and positioning of the subject within the frame. BG is awesome. Colours look natural, beautiful detail on the darter (especially wings) as well as exuviae - is this the correct term to use? Forgive my ignorance, I am still learning.

Those lacy wings are exquisite. Takes a lot of patience I guess, to capture such images? Hope you can teach me a few things about macro photography, I am hooked Might give up my lions for an Antlion, you never know...

Really enjoyed viewing, hope to see more,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    A very good evening to you Jon,

This is pretty amazing, wow! I am considering buying a Macro Lens and spending some time at the little pond in my garden

Perfect framing here, I also like the prominent 'perch' and positioning of the subject within the frame. BG is awesome. Colours look natural, beautiful detail on the darter (especially wings) as well as exuviae - is this the correct term to use? Forgive my ignorance, I am still learning.

Those lacy wings are exquisite. Takes a lot of patience I guess, to capture such images? Hope you can teach me a few things about macro photography, I am hooked Might give up my lions for an Antlion, you never know...

Really enjoyed viewing, hope to see more,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela macro is addictive, the more you do the more you can think of different ways a subject can be interpreted. I would definitely recommend a macro lens, if you have a garden pond you have endless possibilities. You will doubtless have dragonflies and damselflies, watch their habits, place perches for them, study flight paths are they repetitive, do they come back to a perch do they like a high perch or a low perch can you entice them to a perch in good light with a clear background, do you want static or in flight shots, close up telephoto or close up wide angle, do you want to consider stacking and don't forget you can stack wider angle shots too. When do they emerge what season - early morning or late at night? Your garden is your oyster!! Ant lions wow that is a great subject - some truly amazing images from a Japanese photographer on the Olympus site.
    Don't forget your zoom lens may have close focus, if you can get to magnification ratio 1:2 or 1:3 you are well on the way.
    Exuvia - single, exuviae plural. Yes I would be very happy to pass on any tips or answer questions.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely done Jon, but it could do with a bit more oomph.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Gabriela macro is addictive, the more you do the more you can think of different ways a subject can be interpreted. I would definitely recommend a macro lens, if you have a garden pond you have endless possibilities. You will doubtless have dragonflies and damselflies, watch their habits, place perches for them, study flight paths are they repetitive, do they come back to a perch do they like a high perch or a low perch can you entice them to a perch in good light with a clear background, do you want static or in flight shots, close up telephoto or close up wide angle, do you want to consider stacking and don't forget you can stack wider angle shots too. When do they emerge what season - early morning or late at night? Your garden is your oyster!! Ant lions wow that is a great subject - some truly amazing images from a Japanese photographer on the Olympus site.
    Don't forget your zoom lens may have close focus, if you can get to magnification ratio 1:2 or 1:3 you are well on the way.
    Exuvia - single, exuviae plural. Yes I would be very happy to pass on any tips or answer questions.
    Thank you very much Jon, busy looking at those images as well as the videos you were so kind to send me.
    Yes I have a pond... And it is summer, bugs and beetles and butterflies everywhere. Time a bit of an issue because I am mostly at work these days... but I will have a look at my old macro on Sunday and see if it's still working... it's 'old glass', but...

Chat soon, hope you have a great week-end!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Nicely done Jon, but it could do with a bit more oomph.

TFS
    Steve
    I have to disagree Steve, this one is way over ooomphed as it is, newly emerged dragonflies are very pale and washed out, this one is brand new, latest model - only just emerged.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bizarre Jon, when you saw the RP, you seemed elated and wanted to call the following day to discuss the changes????
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Bizarre Jon, when you saw the RP, you seemed elated and wanted to call the following day to discuss the changes????
    Nothing bizarre I posted it to gauge reactions on the processing not just the colours. (the image posted here on BPN is not the one I sent you originally.)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This looks perfect to me. Having seen a couple of these right after emerging (although under unfavorable photographing conditions), this is as good as one can get. They are usually pale and the wings are not bright and shiny yet. Focus is perfect as is the background. Even the exuvia is in sharp focus. great image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I envy these frames. Would love to take on. This one is spot on. Nice all around. Well done.