Thread: Waterproof

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Waterproof

Name:  20201014-Mallard-Portrait-tear-Brian-SumpBMS_9699-FORUM-SIG-USM135-brush-lightsdown-touchface-LA.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  592.2 KB

Still working my portrait processing game.

Would love a touch more dof but this guy was close.

R5
    600mm + 1.4x
    Handheld
    ISO 1000
    f7.1
    1/320

LR and PS, DN.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Details, iridescence and water drops all over the top... TFS

ps
    That eye...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice mallard... i think it you could lower the exposure a tad...Greens seem a bit bright.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely detail Brian...Greens look ok here, when you get the good light on that head, it sure makes for a nice photograph. The water drops add so much. Beautiful detail and IMO sharpness spot on. Nice photograph.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Just a little.
    Brianmallard.jpg
    I am not sure what processing you are doing on a simple shot like this?
    Last edited by dankearl; 11-17-2020 at 07:16 PM.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with Will here...lovely lighting, detail and sharpness. I prefer your take on this one. To my eyes there is just a tad more detail on the neck and top of the head than Dan's repost, although they're very close.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great man! I tell ya, if mallards were considered rare we'd see a whole whack of folks travelling long and far, and ooing and aaing at them! For that reason, I never shy away from the common birds. The water drops really add lots here, and the low angle makes for an appealingly intimate view. I'm OK with the dof - the whole face and neck, which take up the bulk of the comp, are nicely sharp and detailed.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian, great to see these subjects getting some 'airtime'.

Sharpening looks good on the OP, but was your thinking re DoF because of the bill? Based on 1/320 SS I think you need to build on pushing the ISO for more SS, also to avoid any pixel blurring which can happen, this is where the R6 comes into play... I'd try to get more form/detail out of the bill, just looks a bit flat.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    Details, iridescence and water drops all over the top... TFS

ps
    That eye...
    David, you always offer such gracious words, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by dankearl View Post
    Nice mallard... i think it you could lower the exposure a tad...Greens seem a bit bright.
    Dan, every frame presents differently to each set of eyes. Looking at the overall image, exp looked good from here as I compared the whites in the neck with the rest. I do see your perspective on the brighter areas, I did actually run an adj layer for brightness and brushed visible those iridescent areas to personal taste. Seemed to pop nicely as presented but appreciate your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by William Dickson View Post
    Lovely detail Brian...Greens look ok here, when you get the good light on that head, it sure makes for a nice photograph. The water drops add so much. Beautiful detail and IMO sharpness spot on. Nice photograph.

Will
    Will, thank you kindly. Always value your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    Agree with Will here...lovely lighting, detail and sharpness. I prefer your take on this one. To my eyes there is just a tad more detail on the neck and top of the head than Dan's repost, although they're very close.
    Paul, thanks for taking the time to share. It's good to have sounding boards based on subtle variations and glad to know you think it was presented well in the og form.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Looks great man! I tell ya, if mallards were considered rare we'd see a whole whack of folks travelling long and far, and ooing and aaing at them! For that reason, I never shy away from the common birds. The water drops really add lots here, and the low angle makes for an appealingly intimate view. I'm OK with the dof - the whole face and neck, which take up the bulk of the comp, are nicely sharp and detailed.
    Daniel, you know I feel the same way. They're grossly overlooked and I get that, but still beautiful when you get that green to pop. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Brian, great to see these subjects getting some 'airtime'.

Sharpening looks good on the OP, but was your thinking re DoF because of the bill? Based on 1/320 SS I think you need to build on pushing the ISO for more SS, also to avoid any pixel blurring which can happen, this is where the R6 comes into play... I'd try to get more form/detail out of the bill, just looks a bit flat.

TFS
    Steve
    Steve, thanks for the thoughts. Yes, would have liked to get the bill a bit more and yes, could have raised ISO and SS a bit, or aperture. I was glad to get to f7.1 as it was adjusting on the fly but starved the SS.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

it was adjusting on the fly but starved the SS.
    Indeed, so treat yourself to the R6 and avoid starving the SS.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.