Thread: Young adolescent Polar bear

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Young adolescent Polar bear

Attached Images Attached Images

Polar bears are either curious, or..., just don't want to know you, this young one was curious and all these new smells were just too enticing. The issue from a small ship is getting the shooting angle and the thought of shooting from a portal is a non starter and would be an instant ban for any ship & crew found doing so. FF on width and it's just too tight, but fortunately the leg wasn't clipped, but the low PoV is key, plus you get to see some of the pack ice forming which PB need to hunt on. The 500 did occasionally start to freeze after long prolonged times out in the open, but easily rectified, but the atmospherics not always visible behind the camera can be challenging!

Sorry Gabriela, I know you wanted a different image, but that will have to wait for a more appropriate time.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Young Polar bear (Ursus maritimus) on ice
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III HH
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/5.6 ISO500
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop
    Processed via: LRC 9.4 & PS2020
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Everything good, the first thing that struck me was the low angle. Super processing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super processing.
    Cheers Jon, but it just ALL comes down to getting the correct Exposure, very simple processing (not throwing everything into the PP side, just because you have truck loads of third party software) and not fiddling!!!!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ,
    super fine detail rendered and the colors looking good .
    Agree the LHS is tight .... even a tiny bit too tight , the low POV does not cover that issue and not even the visible pack ice .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

, the low POV does not cover that issue and not even the visible pack ice .
    Don’t understand this part Andreas?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

If I understood your intro correct ... the low POV is the key in this image and makes the tight LHS less obvious ??!! . In other words , the viewer will ignore the less ideal tightness and will enjoy the low POV with the pack ice in the FG . If that was your thinking ... I will kindly disagree

7. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not quite correct Andreas,

'FF on width and it's just too tight,'
    Here I am actually acknowledging the fact that the frame to the LHS is too tight, my own self critique to the posting, (but fortunately the leg wasn't clipped...) which is good, albeit a small bonus IMHO.

the low PoV is key

By knowing the ship over many trips I could place myself in a key position creating a nice, low POV so you are almost at eye level with the subject and perhaps more intimate, juxtapose to shooting down, because of the height you are automatically place in by shooting from a small ship, a larger vessel would just compound things even more with steeping angles.

I trust this helps clarifies my intro Andreas.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You might get me wrong , or I you .

Moving on ....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful shot Steve, the low POW works very well. The detail in the fur is spot on, not to mention the exposure. You timed the shot well, the front paw raised gives that sense of frozen movement. Did you use EC? How much? I like the FG, the pack ice tells the story of the environement. Is there anyway you could ad a bit of space to the left? I think it would look better with a bit more space to walk in, as it is I feel its too tight.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Dan.

Did you use EC?
    OH yes, +1

Is there anyway you could ad a bit of space to the left?
    Definitely, simply just move the camera , a few fames on is better positioned, but I liked the bear better here, the issue is that the pack ice just up and so it's a little like hide & seek.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good evening Steve,

Yes, been waiting for THAT ONE, the cute one !!!

Just kidding, I want all of them Love the fine detail here and perfect exposure, wondering if I'd be able to nail the exposure like you do, on my first visit... Never shot ice and snow, or polar bears on white backgrounds. I want this, must start saving and planning. Would I survive the temperatures though?

Super techs, great POV, sweet pose from this youngster - I assume he was pretending to snoop around while trying to get a glimpse of the people in the small ship And a whiff of all those interesting foreign smells. Who knows, maybe it was his first encounter with humans!
    Lovely, gentle tones in the bear's coat, a little more colour here and there. So natural. Don't know how you do it but your images always look effortless in terms of PP - beautiful
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks for the words Gabriela.

Would I survive the temperatures though?
    Oh yes, most days were warmer than with you when we hooked up, around 1-2 degrees, but one morning was bitter, it's the days on the zodiac that can be the hardest, as closer to the water, wind chill, you need to wrap up. If you ever managed to go, I'll give you the full shopping list.

I assume he was pretending to snoop around while trying to get a glimpse of the people in the small ship. Who knows, maybe it was his first encounter with humans!
    He/she was sniffing the ice, they have a fantastic sense of smell. It could well have been, as everyone other ship went one way including Loi, we went the other, they saw three bears... we saw 22, but a count of 26 as four were at a distance.

Lovely, gentle tones in the bear's coat, a little more colour here and there.
    Ever bear is different, but with a lot of similarities.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, what lovely details and colours. Super IQ as always. Loved watching this one.

Looks very tight on the LHS.

But a very fine looking image, TFS !

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Many thanks for the words Gabriela.

Oh yes, most days were warmer than with you when we hooked up, around 1-2 degrees, but one morning was bitter, it's the days on the zodiac that can be the hardest, as closer to the water, wind chill, you need to wrap up. If you ever managed to go, I'll give you the full shopping list.

He/she was sniffing the ice, they have a fantastic sense of smell. It could well have been, as everyone other ship went one way including Loi, we went the other, they saw three bears... we saw 22, but a count of 26 as four were at a distance.

Ever bear is different, but with a lot of similarities.
    Steve, 1-2 degrees I will probably survive, and yes will need the shopping list...BTW we had 34'c at lunchtime today and afternoon 39'c.

Twenty six bears in one trip is super cool, I think. I would love twenty six leopards!
    Had another good look at your bear, seems to be looking down but I think he was keeping an eye on you too. Elephants do that, they pretend to be foraging with their backs to the road but if you're not careful and get too close they turn around and whack you
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb image Steve. Love the IQ and the colors. Super sharp.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Polar Bear! Great setting. Really like the pose. Yes to tight behind. But still a nice frame.