Thread: Big Horn Sheep Lip Curl-Flehman response

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Big Horn Sheep Lip Curl-Flehman response

Attached Images Attached Images

Went back to the Sd Badlands last week hoping the sheep would be more in rut. It was dissapointing. Had a hard time finding the group I had been shooting the previous week.And they were actually less active.This was one of the ferw frames I got.
    Then had a small ice storm hit that cut the trip short.Hard to get around in the canyons and coulees with out four wheel drive.
    Processed with Dpp 4 and Photoshop,Topaz noise. Removed some grasses from the bottom of the frame and the tip of the broken horn had a big flap that was distracting. Comments and critiques appreciated.
    Canon 1DX 111
    500 f/4 L Is
    700 mm
    Av 7.1
    1/640
    ISO 6400

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like your processing style, good details and little noise, the dark areas are dark but there's detail where it might be expected, similarly the nose and chin are well exposed. The response and the direct eye contact make for a strong image.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 11-16-2020 at 04:41 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin, I like the angle as it highlights the behavioural aspect here. The darks and blacks are heavy, but disagree with Jon, you can still achieve a better balance especial in the mouth. Personally I might go a tad warmer and reduce the green hint/cast and reduce the blue in the horns. DoF should have retired more detail in the whites of the muzzle and I feel using both Dodge & Burn with the adjustment brush you can get far more 'form' overall, but especially in the horns which are gorgeous. Good to see you finally pushing the ISO. As for the crop, I feel loosing some off the LHS would be better and post 1600px wide. How much of a crop is this Kevin?

Next time perhaps try shooting slightly up and the full figure, how close can you get?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin , very nice behavioral shot .
    Looks good as presented to me , for sure room to play with tones and get some more form into those lovely horns and even the fur .
    Regarding the blues in the horns ... matter of taste ... if the sky was blue , I would left them alone as it does look natural . If there was no blue sky I would temper them down .

Hopefully more luck next time ....

TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Kevin,

Great POV and indeed a lovely behavioural frame, nice head angle, those horns are pretty amazing.

Composition looks good to me, so do the colours overall. Completely agree with comments above, you could enhance those lovely textures and make those horns stand out a lot more, if you want to.

Eye looks sharp, would have expected more detail on the face, especially muzzle. Not fond of colour casts, if this was my image I would remove them to a great extent.

What I have seen so far from you stands out and your creative vision shows in your images - very well done, can we see some more?

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve for your comments and not much of a crop maybe twenty percent and thanks I didn't even notice the green color cast in the horns.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve for your comments and not much of a crop maybe twenty percent and thanks I didn't even notice the green color cast in the horns.
    I just see it, albeit marginal.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That lip curl is great. A solid portrait as well. The background is spot on.