Thread: Elk (Cervus canadensis)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Elk (Cervus canadensis)

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken back in 2016 in Yellowstone, this is a portrait crop from a landscape frame.

Metering mode : Pattern
    Image input equipment model : Canon EOS-1D X
    Lens focal length : 400 mm
    ISO Sensitivity : 1000
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    Exposure time : 1/500 sec
    F number : F5.6
    Exposure compensation : +0.7 EV
    Flash : OFF
    Color Space : sRGB IEC61966-2.1

ACR/Topaz DNAI/PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, like the dark, moody feel, nice control in PP and the colour pallet works well. For 'Social media' cropping is OK, but not something I would recommend overall. As for the image, because of the POV it's leaving me a bit cold, if it had been side on then I feel it would be more appealing.

Metering mode I would think is Evaluated, ISO sensitivity, think the last word could be removed, Colour space, no need, but misleading unless shot in sRGB?

RFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, I was curious to see what folks thought about the processing - glad you liked it.
    I agree ( indeed as I imagine would most) that cropping is not desirable but in this case it was.
    The image data is copied from Olympus Workspace, the text is straight from the programme.
    Metering - Pattern Matrix, Evaluative Average - yes all pretty much the same thing.
    Sensitivity is just a fuller way of expressing the ISO or more specifically the ISO setting.
    Color Space, well I am not so sure it is bad thing or good thing at least it confirms the image has an embedded color space, I confess I don't usually include it but I did in this case for two reasons, 1) I adopted different processing algorithm 2) There have been posts (not in Wildlife admittedly) that have not had an embedded color profile and this resulted in suboptimal presentation. I will not include it in future posts I think it is pretty safe to assume participants always embed sRGB IEC61966-2.1 in the jpeg.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon .... not the most attractive image in terms of content .
    But I do like the behavioral aspect .
    Processing does look good with really nice color and tones .

For the sake of interest , why using DNAI or any other Noise reduction with Iso 1000 ???

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Jon .... not the most attractive image in terms of content .
    But I do like the behavioral aspect .
    Processing does look good with really nice color and tones .

For the sake of interest , why using DNAI or any other Noise reduction with Iso 1000 ???

TFS Andreas
    It has become a part of my standard workflow, it is for sharpening as much as NR. I apply NR to the raw file with no adjustments other than exposure and colour balance/temp - no sharpening so I really am starting from scratch as it were. In an image such as this the denoise was negligible but I like the sharpening - which I set manually - a relatively low value

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It has become a part of my standard workflow, it is for sharpening as much as NR.
    Jon, the 'sharpening' aspect within DNAI will and never match the power within PS and I would be very hesitant to use this as a process to apply 'pre-sharpening' within the image, even prior to a 'baked tiff', albeit I'm g,lad you are moved on from TK which may be in part, helpful for landscape to a degree. You can't thell on screen images, I would get some prints especially for any submission to camera club, or RPS.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice behaviour and good colours. Content is what it is but compensated by that awkward pose and vertical comp.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,

I like the colours and tonality achieved on the subject and image quality is good for a large crop. The layered BG creates a nice 3D feel.

Grooming pose works for me and to some extent so does the cute pattern on the bum... but not so sure on the POV

Hope you have a wonderful week-end, thank you so much for sharing,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    albeit I'm g,lad you are moved on from TK which may be in part, helpful for landscape to a degree.
    Steve - never understood and understand why you are telling people to stay away from TK ??? It is only using PS onboard tools ..... and why is only maybe helpful for landscape images , to a degree ???
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 11-13-2020 at 05:07 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, the power of sharpening in PS or indeed within ACR component I have yet to explore. What I am doing is taking the raw image, not sharpening it from capture, denoising it at the point at which no sharpening has been applied therefore any noise not has not been amplified by sharpening. So far I have only added a small amount of sharpening in Topaz DeNoise AI. Now my next adventure is to see how my pre sharpening may be enhanced using ACR as opposed to Topaz DNAI. As there is little sharpening in any event, I am prejudging there will be little to choose between the two methods, I will be interested to see if I can perceive any difference. If you have any key points or tips I will be pleased to receive them.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, sounds very complicated again, but I know how you like to explore, just do t loose sight of the end goal.

Andreas, I’m not, it’s from a discussion I had with Jon and using TK sharpening, nothing more, I thing less.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Andreas, I’m not, it’s from a discussion I had with Jon and using TK sharpening, nothing more, I thing less.
    Ok Steve , thanks for clarifying your opinion about the TK thing . From your words I could not read , that your were talking about the sharpening inside the TK panel . Sounded more like a general " stay away from the TK stuff " .... so I kind of did not get the point of your words . I do agree with your thoughts about the sharpening inside the panel , I do not use it for my workflow .

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Always enjoy looking at elk. Nice behavioral grooming. Just alittle different from the rear. Good to see some eye contact. Colors look good for me the shot would have been better if the head wasn't intersecting the dark hillside from behind. I have plenty too with the same hill I believe. LOL TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the grooming pose and the setting. The framing is nice. I could see a version with the elk dead center and cropped in tighter.