Thread: Big Horn Sheep

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Big Horn Sheep

Attached Images Attached Images

Took this in Sd Badlands a couple weeks ago. Processed with Dpp 4,Photoshop,Topaz noise.Crop took some off the bottom and added to the top,none off the sides. Comments and critiques appreciated.
    Canon 1DX 111
    500 f/4 L Is
    500 mm
    Av 9.0
    1/1000
    Iso 3200

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am jealous Kevin, all my images of big horned sheep were taken in dull or foggy conditions. It is quite a different thing to see one so well illuminated, I like his white nose and chin and his eyes are well focused. You managed pretty much the entirety of his horns to be in focus too - well done.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin, great to see you [oating here, I tryst it won't be the last.

Overall I think the crop works, but would love to see a vertical version with all of the Ram in shot, perhaps next???? The BKG work nicely and is sympathetic in terms of colour to the subject and no distracting elements too. Techs look good, where was the focus point? Again I feel the darker adjustments are choking a lot of the detail and it could do with some more localised USM, as you have plenty of detail within the image. You were there, but for me its a little too saturated and so just perhaps backing of may help? Doing a little bit of dogging & burning pulls some more detail out in the gorgeous horns.

This is just a thought and hopefully illustrates my points Kevin, hope to see more...

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A tighter option I think could work too. BTW was the OP FF????
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin -- So nice to see you posting here. And i must say , a fantastic image to post .

Loved the subject and the "in your face" framing. Details are quite good in your RP and loved those earthy colours. Steve's RP has definitely got more details and made the image more pleasing.

A portrait framing would have definitely been the right call, but nonetheless it is a fine image.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin, a fine shot with good details and techs. I agree Steve's RP are superb. Nicely captured.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin ... nice one !!!
    OP works for me as presented , I like the colors and depth of the tones !!
    I do not see any need for lifting things .... but this is a matter of taste .
    Good head on view and I agree with Steve about a different option in terms of cropping .
    Nice to see the fine details in the coat of the ram .

Nice one , TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve for the suggestions . I do see some options. When I first looked I thouhght your version was a little flat . More I looked I do think mine had too much saturation. Maybe somewhere in the middle. Like your crop too it has grown on me. Yes FF none off the sides just top and bottom.
    Always a joy to get your input. You always get the best detail out of a image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

When I first looked I thouhght your version was a little flat .
    If you are using one of these super glossy screens it will do, I don't for many reasons, but as I would think 99% of folk on here only post on Social Media then fine.

More I looked I do think mine had too much saturation.
    That was my initial thought Kevin, again it might be just from the glossy screen and your recollection that may have slightly altered the perception?

Like your crop too it has grown on me.
    Just, 'food for thought'.

Always a joy to get your input. You always get the best detail out of a image.
    Kevin, all I try to do is look at the positives/opportunities of the image and how you could perhaps improve it based on the OP, seeing the actually raw is a totally different ball game, but knowing Canon files and also the new Cr3 ones it does help. All you have to do is simply distill from the feedback in which direction, if any, you then with to take the file. I did a quite test the other day with DPP & LR with files from the new cameras and although I'm way behind in the actual usage of DPP the files were very close in terms of PP which was interesting. I just think that there has been a lot said from folk that have now left the Forum about pushing the darker adjustments, but don't have the knowledge to fully appreciate what impact it has to the files, but again if its just for Social media then does it matter????

As I said earlier, hope to see more from you here.