Thread: Mountain Bluebird

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mountain Bluebird

Attached Images Attached Images

A rare sighting in Florida, this bird was sighted about thirty miles from our house. When we arrived there was a group of about twenty to thirty birders to see this rare bird. I could not get as close I would have liked for danger of flushing the bird so this is a larger than wished crop. I know some will not like the barbed wire but the pasture are cleared, not bushes, no trees just grass for the cattle. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, camera and lens supported by a monopod
    1/125 F/6.3 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 500 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 400mm
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2021 and Neat Image for noise reduction when needed
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 11-07-2020 at 09:19 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the barbed wire and you have a killer BG. As you already mentioned, IQ has suffered from large crop (perhaps slightly over sharpened). Love the framing and this rare siting sounds exciting. TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    I like the barbed wire and you have a killer BG. As you already mentioned, IQ has suffered from large crop (perhaps slightly over sharpened). Love the framing and this rare siting sounds exciting. TFS
    Hi David, thank you for viewing and commenting. I agree regarding the sharpening. I think I pushed it trying to overcome the large crop. Here is a edit with less sharpening.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi David, thank you for viewing and commenting. I agree regarding the sharpening. I think I pushed it trying to overcome the large crop. Here is a edit with less sharpening.
    Perfecto... This is super sweet as the colors are amazing. Really loving your barbwire series. IQ looks fine IMHO as perfect feather detail is not really needed. I know the IQ police may disagree, but I love this canvas as is.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I too like the barbed wire. The OP was certainly over-sharpened. I love the bird -- a great bird for Florida but simply a pretty species. The crop and BKGR are great.

Do me a favor -- send me the RAW file. I want to see what Topaz Megapixel could do with it ...

with love from Texas, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe, Congratulations on getting this rarity in Florida. Love the color palette, pose and background. Tough to work with a large group of birders, but you certainly didn't want to be the one to spook the bird. Nicely done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the background colors and the bird. Repost with less sharpening is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, I love the contrast of the subject juxtapose to the harsh barbed wire, but both images look hammered Joe in PP, carrying little subtle detail, sorry. In addition, drop the blue in the wire as per previous comments. Apolgies in being negative Joe, be interested to see Artie's RP. BTW is it a large crop?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree that both versions suffer from the heavy crop and both look like it. I will be curious what can be done with Topaz as per Artie's request. Otherwise, perhaps a "small in the frame" version would be good in this situation. Great bird though, and I am sure it made lots of people smile out there!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, I love the contrast of the subject juxtapose to the harsh barbed wire, but both images look hammered Joe in PP, carrying little subtle detail, sorry. In addition, drop the blue in the wire as per previous comments. Apolgies in being negative Joe, be interested to see Artie's RP. BTW is it a large crop?

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve, no need to apologize, I knew the IQ was not there due to the large crop and some fog that morning. I posted it large only so viewers could see the bird which is not suppose to be in Florida. Thank you for viewing and commenting.
    Joe Przybyla

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I knew the IQ was not there due to the large crop and some fog that morning. I posted it large only so viewers could see the bird which is not suppose to be in Florida.
    Fully understand now Joe and good luck with the new toy, I bet you will have to keep backing off to get the distance between you & the subject.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.