Thread: Ibex

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ibex

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... staying on high altitude , like the previous posting .
    This ibex male was photographed close to Interlaken in Switzerland , stayed in a mountain hotel to have close access to the colony of ibex who are supposed to live in that area .
    Still was not easy to find them , albeit being used to human presence ..... day one I got lucky with some males .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 2,8 , 70-200 IS L II at 125 mm
    HH

F 8 : Iso 1250 ; 1/1250 sec ; auto iso and man exp.

Processed with C1 and PSCC 2021

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the slight glance towards the camera and the well focused eye. I like the image and I think quality is "good" - but I am looking long and hard and somehow I get the impression that the detail is not as good as you normally achieve. Is it just me - let's see what other people think.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of this Ibex grazing and good thinking on techs Andreas, I really like the vivid colours here and flowers, a very attractive image!

IQ is good and those massive horns look sharp with nice detail. Jon, perhaps the face might appear to be less so, in comparison with the horns? Or maybe a lack of dynamic range, no dark and bright areas on the face and neck of the animal, contributes to a lack of definition?

Or perhaps it is a large crop? Andreas, what say you?
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree withe the previous comment face doesn't look as sharp as the horns which are superb. Maybe some sharpening and contrast would help the head. May just be the head angel is turned and lost some focus or sharpness compared with the horns.Still a great photo.
    Love the meadow and flowers great setting. The more I look at it I think it is the way the light hits the neck and head area. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- Loved the subject and its Horns, such an impressive looking specie. The flower bed ads to the scene.

Well, to me the details are pretty good, as compared to the horns face appears slightly low on sharpening but overall i am fine with it.

This is a fine image, TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This ibex male was photographed close to Interlaken in Switzerland
    I know the region extremely well, as it's where I learnt to ski in the early 80's for over 12 years and now hike in the Summer, but this location I'm unfamiliar with.

I agree that the subject overall is a bit dark, adding more Contrast will just kill any fine detail, but simply upping the shadows pulls more visible content, without distracting from the scene. HA, well I guess he's about to eat so a slight twist is natural, but the horns look sharp, less so the head IMHO. The grass and flowers for me are just too saturated, I've never seen it so 'rich' in all the years I've been up hiking in the pastures etc, but again personal tastes.

Nice to see something different.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much folks for your various comments

Regarding the sharpness of the face and horns , well i am ok with it .... the horns have received a small extra round of LC inside C1 , so that must be the reason for the sharper appearance that you see .

I do not think the Ibex is too dark ... matter of taste , the weather was slightly overcast with sun peaking through the very thin white cloud cover .... so i kept the " shadows" dark .

Steve - the colors have been pushed and separated with a " special LAB maneuver " from my good old friend Dan Margulis , the overall effect was lowered and applied through a color mask . And i like it ... matter of taste . Not expecting that other folks like it ...too .

Exact location was roughly close to the " Gemmenalphorn " .... we stayed at the mountain hotel above the village " Beatenberg " .

Cheers andreas