Thread: Well, hello there...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Well, hello there...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R RF 100-500 @500 f7.1 1/200 ISO 1600 HH, manual mode, medium crop for composition and to avoid the bramble

Went back to the wetlands with the new zoom and no TC as most action is closer there. In the same section where warblers have been coming through in waves, spotted my favorite. Love their funky feet as these guys/gals seem more related to a nuthatch than warbler.
    Thanks, as always for previous valued comments. Please keep them coming. This stare lasted about a millisecond, then back to picking off little spiders...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, lots to like here.

Subject looks nicely exposed. Sharp for 1/200. Background is plenty colorful. At this angle you get a good bit of profile of the Warbler and a fun look.

Might be inclined to evict the little stem protruding out from the left side of the branch. Think it could also benefit more at bottom and a touch less at top if available.

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, a sweet image and I like the striking contrast off the subject against the backdrop. Agree with Brian on more image content below, perhaps to the RHS and loosing the stump to. Extending below is very easy with the raw, but is there some colour from the BKG blown onto the branch to the RHS? Going a little warmer and reducing the Blue just adds a hint more warmth and the whites less cool, just my take.

Hope the attached expands on the previous and current replies.

TFS
    Steve

PS You still have that bright red spec embedded in the image, is it something on the sensor?????
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks good Davis, nicely detailed, I like the processing. For me a little tight in the frame and the extra space on the base really helps. The stub on the branch doesn't bother me a jot.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi David, a sweet image and I like the striking contrast off the subject against the backdrop. Agree with Brian on more image content below, perhaps to the RHS and loosing the stump to. Extending below is very easy with the raw, but is there some colour from the BKG blown onto the branch to the RHS? Going a little warmer and reducing the Blue just adds a hint more warmth and the whites less cool, just my take.

Hope the attached expands on the previous and current replies.

TFS
    Steve

PS You still have that bright red spec embedded in the image, is it something on the sensor?????
    Hi Steve,
    Yes, Brian and Steve, I like the framing better on the repost. Very easy with raw, do tell this PP dummy how. I do have more below, alas full of OOF foreground I didn't want to deal with. That is also what you are seeing on the branch. You wouldn't believe this beauty was flitting toward this bush, I spotted this one curved branch through the only hole in the dense foliage, pre exposed and focused on branch and then continued watching my prey. For once (I do this all the time when chasing warblers), it does happen but seems like never, landed right where I hoped. A continuous spray of about 10 frames ensued. I was also filled with trepidation about the 1/200 but to my surprise 4 out of 10 were sharp with no motion blur. Sometimes, we do get very lucky...
    Thanks to you, gents for very valued comments.

ps
    Do you mean below the chin? I will look out for it. BTW, two years with this rig, not one dust spot. That shutter as cover for sensor design (when off) is awesome.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, what version of PS are you running, please don't say CS5 or 6 I've indicated the spot.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, what version of PS are you running, please don't say CS5 or 6 I've indicated the spot.
    Thanks, never would have found that. I will check in the raw... I'm using the prescription version which just updated a week or so ago. V22.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm using the prescription version which just updated a week or so ago. V22.
    Sorry david, but I have no idea what this is, is it a version of PSCC20 or 21?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry david, but I have no idea what this is, is it a version of PSCC20 or 21?
    Sorry, senior moment, meant subscription not prescription.. The Adobe Creative Cloud subscription (you pay monthly around 10 dollars for photography suite). The PS version in the subscription is version 22 that was just updated two weeks ago. You are referring to classic which is one time buy. It (Classic) used to also be included in Creative Cloud. The Classic LR is still in the CC as well as the newer subscription version. BTW, your eagle eye was right, blown pixel. Got the coordinates for one more step to check in PP. Had to go to 400% to find easily and it is in all images. Thanks again for your astute help and eagle eyes.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Basically you are running the latest version of PS, great. I’ll be in touch.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image and I love the curious pose. Good stuff on Steve's repost. I never realized that B&W Warbler could have such yellow feet. I want to make this one into a Blackpoll. Super-sharp.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I wanted to make this a Blackpoll at first glance too, but the striped head rules it out. The mega yellow feet are playing tricks on me though too. I do wish for more room, but I love the down-the-barrel stare, BG, awesome claws. I'm OK with the perch protrusion left in.

14. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    I wanted to make this a Blackpoll at first glance too, but the striped head rules it out. The mega yellow feet are playing tricks on me though too. I do wish for more room, but I love the down-the-barrel stare, BG, awesome claws. I'm OK with the perch protrusion left in.
    Yes, it is a B&W for sure and this color feet is common (but darker feet are also present) as they move through south Florida in the fall in my experience. No idea why. Thanks as always, Daniel , for your always valued help.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The yellow feet are really unusually yellow aren't they? I too, thought it was a blackpoll at first.
    IQ is excellent and I like the sharpness.
    Another vote for ditching the little stumpy branch.
    Well done,
    Gail

17. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post