Thread: Red deer bellowing

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red deer bellowing

Attached Images Attached Images

Hy this is the picture of a wild deer somewhere in the Fagaras mountains during the rutting season last year. Techs were f6.3 1/800 +1/3 EC ISO 1600, manual mode. In DPP I raised the exposure by 0.33 (tried +o.7 but changed my mind), adjusted the shadows +2, increased color saturation +1. In the color adjustments panel I increased the saturation from 100 to 115, set luminance NR to 3 (couldnt see any difference between 3 and 4) chrominance NR to 6 and ticked the reduce color moire box at the preset value of 2.
    In CS 6 I used levels, I alt-clicked on the black triangle and moved it to the right from 0 to 10. I increased the saturation by 6 and then following Steve's advice I cropped the PSD master file to 1600widthX1280 height, selected the stag with the QST (a lot of choice words were used at the antlers:) and sharpened it with USM at 120/0.3/0. The I flatened the layers, converted to profile and saved for web and got a low quality jpeg. I tried to use curves, but just couldnt get the hang of it. I also saved a version with SS at 70% but I coulndt see any differnce between the 2 in DPP at 100%. The posted jpeg is the version sharpened with the USM. Its cropped, but I couldnt say the proportion of the crop, maybe 25% from the original size.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Works well small in the frame. I could see a version with the deer on the right side of the frame. I like the calling pose.

3. Thanks Bretoteanu Dan thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, yes it's cropped, but overall you are going in the right direction for sure. I like the fact the stag is looking to you and bellowing, but more so is the diagonal layering from top right to bottom left.

Overall I feel it's looking a bit cold, too much blue, but seeing the raw I would include the hind as so it also reduces the crop too.

Dan, if you launch the Curves panel via adjustments, there should be an option by clicking those four lines top right to show the Curves options, send me a screen grab, I'll tell you how to set it up, as default is pants.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

5. Thanks Bretoteanu Dan thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan — I like animals in their environment and this definitely a unique shot in terms of setting the Deer calling out.

Colours appear a bit cold , but a matter of taste for sure.

Framing is not balanced as it appears with more space needed in the direction the Deer is looking.

Nice one, TFS !

7. Thanks Bretoteanu Dan thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the setting but the colours look rather washed out to me, I would be inclined to considering the white balance and dropping the exposure back by 0.3 then having a look at curves.

9. Thanks Bretoteanu Dan thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Dan,

Thank you so much for comprehensive intro, much appreciated. Interesting capture, a different perspective and not something we see every day!

I like the image design here, with the subject on the LHS of the frame and the large conifer slightly off centre. The tree adds a certain 'tension' and degree of depth, to the frame. Lovely calling pose from the Deer, was there a female nearby?

So glad Steve is helping you and I am sure you can improve tonality tremendously here using a curves adjustment. I really enjoyed viewing, looking forward to an RP from you

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

11. Thanks Bretoteanu Dan thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for your inputs, they are very valuable to me. I am a bit caught up in work so I'll reply maybe in the w/end or in the next days.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

@ Steve: I dont exactly see the blue in the picture, told you I am a disaster when it comes to color casts. I thought about the hind, but wouldnt it make the composition off balanced, since she is looking out of the picture with very little space to look into? I'll give it a try as soon as I can wrap my mind about the curves stuff:)

@ Jonathan: Indeed the colors are muted, it was an overcast day when I took the picture. About WB, I tried all aptions in DPP, auto seemed make the picture look like when it was taken. Not sure about lowering the exposure, since I raised it by 0.33 because the original raw looked a bit dark. I could post a jpeg from the original raw with no adjustments, maybe you could give me an input.

@ Gabriela: I'm glad you like my composition Gabriela. I think that given the fact that the deer is small in the frame the tree gives a sense of the stag's dimensions and overall I wanted to tell the the tale of the environement as well. Yes there was a hind, they both were aware of our presence, but they accepted us. Think it was a once in a life time opportunity, since my friend told me that this is the closest you can get to a wild stag in the mountains.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

@ Steve: I dont exactly see the blue in the picture, told you I am a disaster when it comes to color casts. I thought about the hind, but wouldnt it make the composition off balanced, since she is looking out of the picture with very little space to look into? I'll give it a try as soon as I can wrap my mind about the curves stuff:)
    Dan, it's what I see in the greens.

Not a disaster, you just need to get to grips with the basics, there are still folk who have been posting on here for years who haven't correctly set their camera up, so don't get worried.

The Hind, your call.

Curves, well just sit down quietly and look, re read and apply, just explore and have fun!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Name:  USM 120 low q 28 with curves.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  592.7 KB Here is a repost with curves applied. Took me a while, you tube tutorials made it look easy but when I opened the file I just couldnt get to grip with it (tried setting points, lowering and raising the line but nothing good came out of it) till I got angry and used the hand on the stag from 29 i raised it to 32 and on the tree, from 63 to 67.
    Last edited by Bretoteanu Dan; 11-22-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan, you are definitely going in the right direct, by playing you will soon get to grips and if it goes wrong delete the adjustment and try again, well done!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan, I fully agree with Steve. Indeed OP was a bit pale and lacking form, RP has a lot more 'oomph'!

No need to get angry, just let your imagination flow, process and walk away then come back and look with fresh eyes! It's what Steve taught me, by the way

I liked your image for a number of reasons... one of them being, it is very different in terms of POV. On a more personal note, I was born in Romania and been to Fagaras mountains so this brings memories

Hope to go visit my mom next year, she lives in Bucharest. Wondering if I should take some gear along and get away from the city at some stage...if she'll allow me, that is
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Steve and Gabriela for your comments. Was a bit frustrating for a while, kept deleting and seemed to get nowhere fast but your inputs help a lot(thanks for your patiente Steve:). I know you were born in Romania Gabriela, we talked on the phone back in 2017, you gave me some hints on LR Yes, definetly bring some gear with you if you come The Fagaras are well worth a trip.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bretoteanu Dan View Post
    Thank you Steve and Gabriela for your comments. Was a bit frustrating for a while, kept deleting and seemed to get nowhere fast but your inputs help a lot(thanks for your patiente Steve:). I know you were born in Romania Gabriela, we talked on the phone back in 2017, you gave me some hints on LR Yes, definetly bring some gear with you if you come The Fagaras are well worth a trip.
    Indeed, I remember now, we spoke for quite a while Well Fagaras is not too far from Bucharest so worth bringing some gear with. Would love to see what the place looks like, after 30 years or so Especially the "road to the clouds", the Transfagarasan!
    Gabriela Plesea