Thread: Lion relaxing in really last warm light

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lion relaxing in really last warm light

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks .... yes we had great light in Nxai Pan , but mostly no subjects during the great times .
    This time we got lucky with the lions .... well almost , as the pride decided to walk from the bushes right into the shadow of our vehicle .... so shooting angle was not so great in most cases . We almost could have touched them .....
    Luckily some decided to stay a few meters away ....
    I kept the image dark in tone and intense in color ... quite close to the original scene that I have in mind .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L II + 1,4 TC III
    Beanbag

F 8 ; Iso 12800 ; 1/2500 sec ; could have gone away with slower speed to save less iso .... but forgot to go lower .
    Man exp and auto iso

Processed with C1 and PSCC 2021 ; slightly cropped from LHS and bottom

Thansk for watching and commenting to my previous posting .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- What a magnificent red colour in the light. Loved the fine details even at that high iso, great job at PP.

Agree with you regarding the techs but such oversight keeps happening.

The FG lion is not working for me , it kind of looks like an obstruction, but I feel nothing you could have done there.

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't mind the shooting angle Andreas, but 1/2500 for a sleepy lioness I feel is a tad more than you needed here, but... Yes the file is heavily under exposed, and the reddish light is what it is, but based on the OP still keeping it dark you can still pull more detail out.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb and Steve for your comments , much appreciated .

Haseeb - i wish the lion was not there , but did not want to push him out of my way .

Steve - as said in the intro , SS was overdone . The file is reflecting the original lighting of the scene .... no need for " correct exposure" and no need for more detail . The image can be interpreted totally different , no question ....possible options are endless . But it stays as posted

Cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful relaxed pose from the subject and such beautiful eyes. POV looks good, composition a little awkward with the other characters present but you did your best under the circumstances. Getting that perfect frame is not easy when you have a pride of lions sleeping so close to each other.

Despite the gentle and almost golden 'last light' on the subject's face I feel the image appears too dark overall. Sharpness is there, yet I am used to seeing a certain level of clarity, or definition, in your images. I do understand you like things 'as presented' so I am just giving you my honest opinion.

Thank you so much for sharing Andreas,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela ... for sure you should share your honest opinion , otherwise it would be useless .... at least for me .

Just for your understanding .... how I see this example , you can imagine how dark it was already at that light level .... so I keep the image like the original light in terms of exposure , clarity or definition .
    I do not see any need to create a lighter , more defined .... more detailed ( in terms of tones )

Cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Thanks Gabriela ... for sure you should share your honest opinion , otherwise it would be useless .... at least for me .

Just for your understanding .... how I see this example , you can imagine how dark it was already at that light level .... so I keep the image like the original light in terms of exposure , clarity or definition .
    I do not see any need to create a lighter , more defined .... more detailed ( in terms of tones )

Cheers Andreas
    I get what you are saying and I respect that. It's just that for the first time I see an image from you that looks almost as if it came straight out of the camera, a little bland and thirsty for more input from the man behind the camera... A man who by the way has great techincal knowledge and whose images usually have depth, definition, and clarity. Even those taken in deep shade
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love that red light. Gorgeous frame.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the image composition and exposure. The red component is too dominant for me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    I get what you are saying and I respect that. It's just that for the first time I see an image from you that looks almost as if it came straight out of the camera, a little bland and thirsty for more input from the man behind the camera... A man who by the way has great techincal knowledge and whose images usually have depth, definition, and clarity. Even those taken in deep shade
    Gabriela .... my images out of cam are even flatter . I cannot hear the calls from that image ... that you might hear .... maybe I need to go to the doctor to get my ears checked .
    But wait .... very soon I will push things and will get comments into the other direction
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 11-05-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon and John for your feedback