Thread: Tiger

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tiger

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,
    Here is a frame from our Bandhavgarh trip (with Haseeb) in 2019.
    5D IV
    100-400 II at 135mm
    1/400
    f/5
    ISO 6400

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc -- I remember this sighting. After a lot of searching and beating around the bush, we finally located this young male sitting near the track.

I do like the pose and framing is almost good, though I feel it requires some more space at the base.

Colours in the tiger are a bit muted, you certainly can push them further for more vibrancy.

Details also appear a bit coarse .

You certainly can improve this image.

TFS !

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, lovely image, love the angled pose, tense, inquisitive look and open mouth. Standing on the slightly raised ground and visible front paw is cool, but would like more below. Techs are what they are, but the 100-400 delivers nicely. The blacks are a tad intense for me, but does make for a striking image. Selectively I would add a tad more NR to the BKG and drop the exposure on the LHS again selectively. To me it's a wee bit yellow, could be WB or Vibrancy, but perhaps just tweaking the Colour balance in PS may resolve things, but I would like a bit more in the coat.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev, I know the frustration these tiger images give! Getting the colours "correct" or pleasing isn't always as straightforward as it may seem. You may find it easier to process the raw file initially for the background and foreground, vary the exposure and luminance and saturation. Then go back and deal with the tiger. If you are using Topaz DNAI are you able to process the CR2 file in Topaz or are you processing a TIFF or DNG - it makes a difference.

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev .... seeing and shooting a tiger is always special .
    I quite like the overall image in terms of content , meaning setting , crop , expression of the tiger etc .....
    To me it has some " technical" shortcomings it terms of processing as it does appear somehow flat in terms of color and tonal depth . The finer fur structure got lost somehow .... might be down to the low SS and the ISO .
    As i do not know your detailed workflow .... very difficult to say how to improve things .
    When it comes to color ... just an individual thing .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose on the tiger. Framing is right on. 135mm, man you were close to this big guy.