Thread: American White Pelican

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American White Pelican

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at Lake Morton in Lakeland, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, camera and lens supported by a monopod
    1/500 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 180 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 195mm
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2021 and Neat Image for noise reduction when needed
    Cropped for composition and presentation

P.S. Learn more about Lake Morton in the BAA Middle Florida Photography Site Guide that Artie and I co-authored. It is available at this link The BAA Middle of Florida Site Guide
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool portrait Joe, but I would loose the blue in the plumage and perhaps take a sliver off the top, WDYT? I feel you are underselling the image here Joe, you still have a lot more detail in that white plumage, it's awesome, even at this size, so in the raw WOW, nice work.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe, I agree with Steve on the blue in the plumage.

Beautiful portrait from my angle. I am good with the crop - it looks like 4x5 already right, so next option would be square?

And I find the details are great. If you can eek more out fine but personally I like the whites remaining white (in LR I simply took the blue down in the HSL panel and it did wonders).

TFS

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve and Brian, thanks for viewing, commenting and suggesting improvements. Here is a edit and repost with the blues tamed. Nice to have others look at an image I missed how blue the shadows were, guess I was concentrating elsewhere. Thanks again.

Brian I went with the 4x5 so the the bill would point diagonally to the lower left corner, just me.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Steve and Brian, thanks for viewing, commenting and suggesting improvements. Here is a edit and repost with the blues tamed. Nice to have others look at an image I missed how blue the shadows were, guess I was concentrating elsewhere. Thanks again.

Brian I went with the 4x5 so the the bill would point diagonally to the lower left corner, just me.
    Like it a lot Joe!

FWIW, I was agreeing with your crop saying that to go any wider or shorter you would have to go square. That could look good but I think I like it as is :-)

Steve, what say you?

8. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Like it a lot Joe!

FWIW, I was agreeing with your crop saying that to go any wider or shorter you would have to go square. That could look good but I think I like it as is :-)

Steve, what say you?
    Thanks Brian, I appreciate you clarifying.
    Joe Przybyla

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

(in LR I simply took the blue down in the HSL panel and it did wonders).
    If you do that guys it's a GLOBAL adjustment, killing the blue of the water and therefore looses a lot of the nice subtleties from the OP.

Joe, very quickly done as I'm rushing, but this is with a sliver off the top and getting some more detail out of the whites using the OP. I might also suggest just opening the eye up a bit more too.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

11. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    If you do that guys it's a GLOBAL adjustment, killing the blue of the water and therefore looses a lot of the nice subtleties from the OP.

Joe, very quickly done as I'm rushing, but this is with a sliver off the top and getting some more detail out of the whites using the OP. I might also suggest just opening the eye up a bit more too.
    Hey Steve, your right I did to it globally and lost the blue in the water. Here is an edit removing the blue from the bird locally and working on the detail in the whites. Stay healthy my friend...

P.S. Between all of us we will get this portrait perfect.
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 11-03-2020 at 06:07 PM.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post

Yes I totally understand that thanks. You would want to mask the bird and reduce that way ideally - this was within the context of a quick LR adjustment.

14. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Yes I totally understand that thanks. You would want to mask the bird and reduce that way ideally - this was within the context of a quick LR adjustment.
    Thanks Brian, you and I did a quick fix but to reduce the blues just on the bird was the correct fix. Easy to do using the Adjustment Brush in LR and reduce the saturation in those areas. I don't know if you use the Adjustment Brush in LR, it is a great tool.
    Joe Przybyla

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joseph. Yes...looks great now. One more thing to make it perfect to me: clone out that little diagonal dark bit bottom right corner.

17. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just another JP classic. TFS

PS
    Final post nails it...

19. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love these pelican portraits. This one is great. Works very well high key.

21. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this Joseph. I've been lusting after a headshot of this species for years, so I'm envious of this result and opportunity. Detail is outstanding, and I like the soft pastel tones behind. I like how Steve had rendered those but prefer your brighter whites. Marrying the two would be great! A very sweet image regardless.

23. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla