Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sunset on a broken twig,,,

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R RF 100-500 RF 1.4xtc @700 f10 1/2400 ISO 1600 HH, Manual EXP

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, the image appears very dark, especially in the subject loosing detail. Focus point appears to my eyes to be more on the twig than the subject, might be worth checking in DPP????
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David good subject but my thoughts are pretty much identical to Steve's, the image is very saturated and heavy looking, I think it would be worthwhile taking another look, I suspect the dragonfly is reasonably sharp but not spot on.
    I tend to repeat to myself "less is more" when processing and I think it helps a little sometimes.

5. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi David, the image appears very dark, especially in the subject loosing detail. Focus point appears to my eyes to be more on the twig than the subject, might be worth checking in DPP????
    As always, thank you astute gentlemen for your very valued thoughts and inputs. The focus box is right through the head and thorax of the subject but the wing is also in front. Also there was a heavy wind. This was part of a continuous focus sequence and I have slight stickiness set in the AF. Meaning the camera is setup to stick to current subject when another appears (only set to 1 out of 2 though). So it might have acquired the perch and then stuck for next frame. Next time... Thanks again, gents.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David you mention focus box - I am guessing that is a group of points?? I would most definitely use a single point for macro (and probably most birds).

8. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think David is referring to Cases Jon, I might have had it the other way, more +, but... Agree, single point, far more accurate too.

BTW the twig is too dominate I feel David, it dwarfs the subject, but I'll leave that with J.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

10. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    David you mention focus box - I am guessing that is a group of points?? I would most definitely use a single point for macro (and probably most birds).
    Thanks again. No it was the smallest single point (I always use this mode) represented by a focus box in the EVF and in DPP. It was right on the head and thorax. But what I describe could have happened. I have seen it completely off the subject, yet been in perfect focus because the subject only moved parallel to the sensor due to this setting during continuous focus mode. The main issue with the R AF is the lack of processor speed in these situations. Not so with R5/R6.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    I think David is referring to Cases Jon, I might have had it the other way, more +, but... Agree, single point, far more accurate too.

BTW the twig is too dominate I feel David, it dwarfs the subject, but I'll leave that with J.
    I hear you, mate. In fact I cropped from right side for that very reason.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice view of this dragonfly. The eye is soft. I wish the perch was not broken and so big.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely colors on the dragonfly and very nice background. Agree with other's suggestions.