Thread: Fallow deer buck (Dama dama)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fallow deer buck (Dama dama)

Attached Images Attached Images

I went to Tatton Park today to try to get the red deer at the end of the rut. Got there and it was closed! I went on to Dunham Massey, it looks like the rut is over and the bucks are all worn out, every one of them was taking it easy and building up strength. None of the images are particularly striking but I like the autumn colours here. The buck was in quite deep shade, I have tidied up a few OOF twigs in the background. (Steve I did use a variety of ISO settings!)

Image input equipment model : E-M1X
    Lens Model : M.40-150mm F2.8 + MC-14
    Lens focal length : 210 mm
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 420.0mm
    Metering mode : Pattern
    ISO Sensitivity : 400
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    Exposure time : 1/250 sec
    F number : F5.6
    Exposure compensation : -0.3 EV
    Flash : OFF

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice frame of this buck taking it easy. I always like images on bedded deer. They look so at peace. Framing is right on. A nice coat as well.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, I like the setting, but it's a little unfortunate to be seated right by a pile pf branches/logs. Good call on the POV, it works and the deer engages with the viewer. For me it has a slight green cast, going cooler and a bit more Tint helps, bit just opening the deer up in terms of exp IMHO. I appreciate it may have been dark, but a little more exposure again helps. I would also make more of the Autumnal colours adding some richness tones. Personal taste but I would also loose the branch that intersects with the RHS of the rack.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon — Definitely this image is far better processed than the previous images of this specie that you have posted recently.

I liked the Pov, it makes for an engaging view, although I might have opted for a portrait version , utilising the FG leaves as a line of interest. Can’t comment on colours as I have never seen this specie before, but it does have that greenish / cyan cast in its coat.

The Bkg is not ideal , always a tricky situation when you have a backlit bkg.

You still managed to get a nice frame amidst the above mentioned not so ideal settings.

TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated. Regarding colours, I think I do see the faint green cast now - I must confess I didn't previously. The buck - same old story present something that is more aesthetically pleasing or something closer to reality, I went somewhere in between, maybe I should go for one or the other.
    John I have some more deer shots - again they are at rest - plum tuckered out!!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you Jon,

I take it you enjoyed your outing today, autumn must be stunning at Dunham Massey and I can just imagine the magical colours, lots of reds and gold

Love the relaxed pose from the buck as well as forest in the background. The large tree trunks on the LHS add depth to the frame. Well composed and POV is great.

I too noticed the slight cast, mainly on the whites of the subject's neck, easy fix for you.

The environment is quite 'busy' so to speak, but that's nature! Have not tried, but just thinking maybe you could add some more vibrance/saturation to the FG and let those autumn colours come through.

Would love to see more images of deer if you have

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon .... works for me .
    Like the setting and i do not mind that much the tree on LHS , cannot comment on color as i am at work .
    But the others might be right with the greenish cast . Really like the autumn feeling and the nice backdrop , no need to remove or blend the tree behind the antlers from my POV .

Nice one , TFS Andreas