Thread: Rusty Blackbird

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rusty Blackbird

As a hardcore birder, I really like showing the entire avian spectrum, not just raptors and/or hella colorful birds.

To that end, I present the Rusty Blackbird. These icterids nest in boreal forest across Canada and winter in freshwater
    marshes in the eastern half of the lower 48 states. The occasionally wander to California in fall migration, and a friend
    of mine found this individual about an hour from my apartment. I chased it down yesterday and ended up with some
    of my best/favorite images of the year. I'd not photographed this species before this amazing encounter.

It's worth noting that this species has experienced a 90% decline from historical levels, but no one has taken notice
    because they aren't flashy or widely identifiable. Sadly, appearance matters as much for birds as it does for people.

Air temp was 50F, so it as f@#$%ing cold in the creek. Soaked from head to tow and shivering throughout.

I hope this image engenders respect for this beautiful and increasingly-vulnerable species.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II on EOS 1DX2
    1/1600 at f/7.1, ISO 1600
    Processed in LR CC. Cloned out a ~ two handfuls of distracting dots on surface and 2 larger elements behind.

Name:  rusty blackbird on spit 102820.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  446.3 KB

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hail to the rusty blackbird: absolutely respectful and to you as well Dorian. This is a solid gold image, so beautiful, love the HA, the water break w the sliver of blue. BG, FB all so complimentary. So happy for you that yesterdays shoot was one of this years favorite, and thus, this rusty is one of mi=y favorites of yours. 90% decline, thats fr..... criminal

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with your about representing all of the birds. I too shoot a lot of birds which many consider common or boring because of color. As far as the image, I really dig the low POV, reflection and light. Great job!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have never seen one.. Very cool, great angle, great color!!
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful shot of this species. You have really made him glow. We occasionally get a few of them around here, often in marshy and hard-to-photograph settings. I've never gotten a good image of one. Congratulations!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As I said on FB, this is rockstar good.
    Love everything about it.
    The golds are beautiful.
    Perfect BG, water.
    POV perfect.

Gail

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In your hands with those surrounding colors as beautiful a species as I've seen. Sublime canvas, my man (so, what's new)... TFS

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice colour Dorian and I like the the HA, but for me, the input of blacks & contrast are too strong amplified by LR, pegging to back retains more detail. Looks like a layer has slipped in your layers palette, look at the top.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations on getting this spectacular image. Wonderfull low point of view, and beautiful complimentary colors reflected in the water from the background. I have photographed these beauties, and am partial to them. When you mentioned their decline, it prompted me to do more research.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dorian, the way the eye and the feathers pop in the sweet light is... wow.

And the warm, autumn colored water and bkg are super nice. Entry coming from the bit of exposed shore tells a story here.

Great work man, payoff was had!