Thread: Great Blue Heron with Snack

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Blue Heron with Snack

Attached Images Attached Images

Great Blue Heron with a little snack. Cropped to portrait from full body shot.

Sony a9ii, 200-600mm, 1.4 TC, 1/3200 at f/9, ISO 800

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's always fun to get the fish-flip! Even better when the fish's head, rather than the tail, is facing towards us. The small drops add some fun elements. Sharp. Good BG. I could see a version where the heron is not as forward in the frame as it is now (more in front, less behind than as posted). Pretty neat overall!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kurt, good timing to catch the fish flip. Nice colors, sharp feather detail, good background. Maybe as Daniel suggested a little more room in front, I might also add some on the top. The white cheek of the heron should have more detail, it looks smooth on my display. Maybe the RAW file had more detail the can be coaxed out. I photograph a lot of Great Blue Herons in Florida, that area on the face most times controls the exposure. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well caught for both of you. I like the way it fills the frame as is. Beautiful detail everywhere and sweet BG. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic close-up. I agree with the guys re; a bit more room on the left (for the bird to look into) and try to tease out some more detail in the whites. When photographing these GBH in a tight portrait, Joe is absolutely correct in saying that the whites on the chin dictate the exposure. It is less important when you do a full body shot because that area becomes quite minuscule
    relative to the entire frame.
    Looking forward to your critiques of members images,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

looks good, I like the framing as is, agree with toning down the whites to get more details. My only wish is that the fish's head/eyes we more visible ;)

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb action! Love the fish-flip and pose of the bird. Nice composition and details. Good angle of the fish with visible eye.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lots of spot-on comments above. Good on getting the size right with this one :). Laser-razor sharp and held it held up nicely to the crop.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Strong image Kurt! Fun action with excellent detail. More room at left and a bit of highlight recovery as others have noted. But a really fun frame!