Thread: Beauty in the reeds....

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Beauty in the reeds....

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R RF 100-500 RF 1.4xtc f8 1/4000 ISO 1600 HH, Manual EXP, FF

There has been monsoon like weather for the last week with continual thunderstorms. Finally got out for a bike ride with camera. Caught this beauty for a bird in environment image. Busy, I know, but I love this typical wetland environment. Created in late afternoon with cloudy horizon.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, the bkg is quite distracting here for me but it does show a nice environment for the subject, as mentioned.

Nice even light helps here so nicely done on that. Composition is fine, good room for feet at bottom and direction to the left.

Certainly appears sharp. Might suggest this is a good candidate for some noise reduction to enhance the photo, although I know there are purists who might disagree.

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, as mentioned by yourself and by Brian, the BG is super busy but I do feel that it works well enough to show the marshy habitat. I do wish the bent grass above the heron's head was not there though. Good vertical comp, sharpness and colours spot-on. Yes to some NR to the top half of the BG.

5. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Yes, as mentioned by yourself and by Brian, the BG is super busy but I do feel that it works well enough to show the marshy habitat. I do wish the bent grass above the heron's head was not there though. Good vertical comp, sharpness and colours spot-on. Yes to some NR to the top half of the BG.
    I hear you Brian and Daniel but Steve was in my head as I try to lay off the NR. Both points are valid as we sometimes overdue it. I did sharpen the entire image. So, is it that egregious in this one or could it be left off. Also, perhaps just sharpening the subject would help. Thoughts anyone? As always and with you two in particular, thanks for the valued and astute feedback.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, nice image of a Tri-color in it's habitat. Noise already mentioned by Brian and Dan. The bird really looks good. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

8. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this frame.
    You have some great comments from the other guys so I will not repeat them.
    I am OK with the BG being busy because it was your goal to show the heron in its natural environment and you have done that.
    I would take about an inch off the top and clone out the curvy grass that is on the right of the bird.
    Gail

10. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    I hear you Brian and Daniel but Steve was in my head as I try to lay off the NR. Both points are valid as we sometimes overdue it. I did sharpen the entire image. So, is it that egregious in this one or could it be left off. Also, perhaps just sharpening the subject would help. Thoughts anyone? As always and with you two in particular, thanks for the valued and astute feedback.
    Steve is very accomplished and has some good insights. The way I see it is two fold - 1. How much graininess does the human eye see? Conversely, is everything over-smoothed by the human eye? 2. What do you like? Do you often see images with noisy/textured canvases and go "OMG I love that!"? If so, then fine. But if you love images that hide the noise/grain and appear favorably to your eye, then go with that. IMO, anymore with the denoise software out there we should take advantage of it and, to my eye, it is highly beneficial but to each their own.

FWIW, I never go over 17 in DNAI and usually only 10-12 on (background specifically). On the subject, sometimes none at all but never over 10, depending on the amt of noise present. Also, as of late I run 1 on the sharpening settings for both the subject and the bkg and if I want more I'll use the USM or SS tool in PS. But typically won't add any to the bkg. And if you use DNAI on the blacks, I usually duplicate my bird layer, run DN on that one and then use the brush tool (~ 35% opacity) and brush down some to the orig bird masked file in the dark areas as I find DNAI conceals/chocks blacks.

Take it or leave it. My shots may not be for everyone but hopefully it helps you a bit.

12. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Steve is very accomplished and has some good insights. The way I see it is two fold - 1. How much graininess does the human eye see? Conversely, is everything over-smoothed by the human eye? 2. What do you like? Do you often see images with noisy/textured canvases and go "OMG I love that!"? If so, then fine. But if you love images that hide the noise/grain and appear favorably to your eye, then go with that. IMO, anymore with the denoise software out there we should take advantage of it and, to my eye, it is highly beneficial but to each their own.

FWIW, I never go over 17 in DNAI and usually only 10-12 on (background specifically). On the subject, sometimes none at all but never over 10, depending on the amt of noise present. Also, as of late I run 1 on the sharpening settings for both the subject and the bkg and if I want more I'll use the USM or SS tool in PS. But typically won't add any to the bkg. And if you use DNAI on the blacks, I usually duplicate my bird layer, run DN on that one and then use the brush tool (~ 35% opacity) and brush down some to the orig bird masked file in the dark areas as I find DNAI conceals/chocks blacks.

Take it or leave it. My shots may not be for everyone but hopefully it helps you a bit.
    Thanks Brian, your thoughts always greatly appreciated.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the marsh grasses in this one and find the setting more interesting than distracting. Heck, it is not distracting to me at all. I don't even mind the curved grass.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

15. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I love the marsh grasses in this one and find the setting more interesting than distracting. Heck, it is not distracting to me at all. I don't even mind the curved grass.

with love, artie
    Who are you and what have you done with Arthur Morris... As Emerson (Ralph Waldo that is) would say; "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." No little mind have ye. I thought for sure you'd not be fond of this one... Thanks again to all for very valued feedback.