Thread: Osprey vs Crow

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Osprey vs Crow

Attached Images Attached Images

I guess this one works or it doesn't. I was photographing an Osprey that was being chased by a Crow. Unfortunately the action happened too close (for a change...lol) and I was not able to back up, so consequently I was not able to get the whole Osprey in the shot. I decided therefore crop to this view. I like it but I understand others may not. I have another shot with more of the osprey, but it's not sharp...that's life!D500, 500PF, 1/3200th sec, f5.6, ISO1600, manual mode HH. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it, the processing could be better, work on the eye, and it is noisy for iso1600 unless huge crop.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan. Thanks, and yes, I needed to crop around 40%. Suggestions for the processing?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul, Use Capture one, it cuts noise in half from PS files, then you can go in PS and use Topaz.
    I can process D500 files at iso6400 with ease with the right exposure.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is an interesting shot with an interesting story; It really looks like you're part of the action from this exaggerated perspective. There are some technical issues (saturated whites, a bit of noise) on top of a few others (shadows, lack of eye contact), but this shot is more about the feeling it elicits. I'm sure its an encounter you'll not soon forget!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan. I'm not sold on Capture one (at this stage anyway)...too expensive for one thing, and I find that Topaz does so well on images that are exposed properly. This was a fairly big crop, so I know I was pushing the IQ somewhat. Cheers.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dorian: Yes to the technical things, and yes to the "feeling". The location is Osprey House observation deck, which looks out over the water. Behind me are trees which block out the view of the tall pole with the nest on top. A number of Crows flew over my head and I knew they were going to annoy the Osprey...which they did...as it came out of nowhere in front of me with the Crows giving chase. The Osprey did some nice aerobatics to avoid the Crow...shame I didn't get better shots. Always next time!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Too expensive? $250 for lifetime (or a few years), a one year PS fee.
    Suit yourself, you asked how you could get less noise, I told you. The files are so much cleaner, I
    wonder why every bird photographer does not use it....
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

$AUD478 here for one time license. I'm not interested in another subscription anyhow...PS is enough. It may be good (I know Arash uses it) but I still maintain that ACR is good enough for me. Noise reduction where needed in Topaz works great. With all due respect I never asked how I could get less noise, just your suggestions for processing as you said it could be better. Cheers.
    Last edited by Paul Burdett; 10-25-2020 at 09:27 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat moment and yes, this image has a very funky look to it ... It looks as if you might have done a lot in an effort to even out what was uneven lighting ... And yeah, a zoom lens comes in handy at times for flight :)

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie...funky is fine with me...lol
    Stay safe.