Thread: Chickadee

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Chickadee

Attached Images Attached Images

Carolina Chickadee, captured at home several days ago.

D500, Sigma 150-600C @ 390mm, ISO 2000, 1/640s @ f/7.1 manual.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

There ya go Bill, lovely and the creeping jenny vine adds so much interest to your image. Very nice colors and details on the wee chickadee who fits so nicely between the leaves. wonderful!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like this one Bill. Just wish the leaf on the right was not touching the neck of the bird. Lovely composition though with striking colour contrast between the leaves and the bird, and a great BG. Actually, looking further I'd be tempted to clone out the leaf on the left, touching the bird's neck.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty cool, works because the foliage is sharp and very nice. Bird trying to hide....
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is some serious red! The leaves demand more attention than the bird, but I like how we need to kinda find it among the foliage. Details on the bird, perch, and leaves are equally excellent. Love the composition with the bird centered and a nice balance of leaves on either side. Green BG is super. This should def be an Xmas card. I might close out the intersecting left on the neck.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill, this is a very attractive shot.

As mentioned the pop of red/pink on green and a hunting game for the Chickadee makes for a little fun. The fact that the head's fully visible between the middle leaves saves the frame for me.

Possible you grabbed focus on one of the leaves? The subject appears just a little out of dof. You made it work but the head just appears quite soft.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, love the fall colors and the chickadee. Nice composition, background and sharpness. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a perch, Bill. Beautiful fall red vine wrapped around the perch with lichen patches. Good of him to land where he did. Great shapness throughout, and nice background.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful colours on the perch...Nice BG. I'm afraid this one don't work for me, as the bird is too small compared to the perch for my liking.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all for your comments. Funny thing about those leaves. I set this perch up and went back to the camera to take a trial shot, to see if any additional tweaking was needed. I decided there were two leaflets that needed to be evicted to clear a spot where I wanted a bird to land. But before I could get back with the clippers, the Chickadee landed in that exact spot. I grabbed a few frames of him, and then went and trimmed the perch to taste. Then I watched and waited for perhaps two hours, willing him to come back to that spot. I did get a few other species, which I will share in due course, but alas the Chickadee reverted to his usual behavior of going directly to the feeder, grabbing a seed, and departing. So I have resorted to some PP work in this repost, to make the perch the way it should have been.

Brian, I think you're right about the focus point. I gave the bird a touch of additional sharpening with Topaz in this RP.

Will, I understand your comment. In a way, this is really mostly about the perch, with small bird. Which is why I gave it a Theme small-in-frame designation.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Though the repost is better, for me this is a case of too many leaves and not enough bird :)

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.