Thread: Litte owl in morning light

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Litte owl in morning light

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken just before 7.00am in the morning, Torn eye was sitting quietly on the old wooden trailer located near the old hollow trunk of the Willow tree, a favourite spot for Torn eye to sit. Working from the blind that had been positioned a week prior and gradually moved a meter per day, in order not to spook or stress the owl. Utilizing LV and in silent mode the owl never knew anyone was around meaning that both Torn eye & Scruffy would venture closer and closer, to the point where the 100-400 was being used. It's tight at the foot to avoid a lot of distracting vegetation in the FG, but rarely do you get light like this.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Little owl (Athene noctua) in morning light
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark III
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM (Gitzo tripod with Flexline pro ballhead)
    Exposure: 1/800s at f/8 ISO2000
    Original format: Portrait, slight crop from above, almost FF width
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2020

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behavior of the subject and, of course, there has been no use of any form of bait or other form of wildlife attractants (including vocalisations) in the capture of this image.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful light and head turn Steve. Love that little claw and BG. I understand the perch so it is acceptable. Nice PP with pleasing natural colours.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sanjeev.

I understand the perch so it is acceptable.
    As the trailer has been in the field for over 15 years, slowly weathering down and becoming part of the habitat, then for me, man-made or not, it's natural.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super Steve, tones and details all there, at this magnification and this angle it would be nigh on impossible to get the tail and back in focus, the eye and the claw keep the viewer's attention.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super Steve, tones and details all there, at this magnification and this angle it would be nigh on impossible to get the tail and back in focus, the eye and the claw keep the viewer's attention.
    Cheers Jon, glad you liked it, never got the sunrise like this again...

I was talking to AR a while back and perhaps not putting the FP on the eye, but may be, more towards the back, may have given the 1/3 - 2/3 and gained (even with f/11 and raising the ISO) perhaps a tad more?????

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

Wonderful capture of little Torn Eye at sunrise! Killer BG and superb colours, great detail where it matters most.

I really like this as is. He is so cute, love the pose and raised foot. Would be too afraid to risk it and move FP from the eye... so I would just up ISO and try F 11, F 12, F13...and see what worked best

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, I think it is wonderful that your can follow and photograph these owls year to year and recognize them. I will have to pay more attention to see if I can pick up details to identify individual birds. Your Little Owls are so similar to the Burrowing Owls in Florida. Image nicely displayed as always. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com