Thread: Pine Siskin

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pine Siskin

Attached Images Attached Images

Captured this image yesterday in late afternoon at the nearby grassland. This is a lifer for me, and there were at least five or six dining on this dried flowering plant. C&C welcome.

D500, 500mm PF + 1.4 TC, 1/1250s, Handheld, f/8.0, ISO 1250.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Despite the somewhat cluttered perch, this one -- with the great pose and the natural seed in its bill, is quite excellent from where I sit. Which is in my SUV on the way to shoot hawks with Alan Murphy near Galveston just after the anticipated cold front ... How nice of the bird to look up and great that you captured the moment.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Despite the somewhat cluttered perch, this one -- with the great pose and the natural seed in its bill, is quite excellent from where I sit. Which is in my SUV on the way to shoot hawks with Alan Murphy near Galveston just after the anticipated cold front ... How nice of the bird to look up and great that you captured the moment.

with love, a
    Thank you Artie. Just have to compliment you on your boundless energy, and remarkable ability to multitask. I know it's all second nature to you, but I'm quite sure all that know you, and or have heard of you appreciate all you give
    to others. Sitting in your SUV on your way to join Alan Murphy to capture images of hawks, and taking the time to look at, and critique posts of peoples images.

Have a great time with the hawks.

Geoffrey

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this and the bird sticks out well from the branches. What a great natural pose. Seed ads to the capture.Great sharpness and love the brown background goes well with the browns on the bird.TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice! We've had reports of these guys showing up locally, so I am keeping an eye out - and this image makes me hope even more for them to stick around! I do wish the oof stuff at left was not there, but overall tis is a very strong image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Geoffrey, great comments above.

The bird really looks nice from my view and love the rich bkg!

Won't add to comments on the branches but only other suggestion would be to maybe blend the lighter diagonal band going up to the right next to the subject's head.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Super nice Geoffrey, captured beautifully, quizzical pose with seed, sharp and love the natural brush. Keep em coming!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Geoffrey Montagu;1246690]Thank you Artie. Just have to compliment you on your boundless energy, and remarkable ability to multitask. I know it's all second nature to you, but I'm quite sure all that know you, and or have heard of you appreciate all you give
    to others. Sitting in your SUV on your way to join Alan Murphy to capture images of hawks, and taking the time to look at, and critique posts of peoples images.

Have a great time with the hawks.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu[/QUOTE
    ]What a kind thing to say Geoffrey and I agree, so carry on Artie and enjoy the hawks!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another 'natural' looking image Geoffrey....Like it a lot....Maybe try a vertical crop...with some more room below...just a thought.

Will

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone.

Geoffrey