Thread: Canon R5 or Canon R6

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Canon R5 or Canon R6

I know they ain't long on the scene, but.....I've been looking to get one or the other....Looking at reviews, it would appear that the R6 is better in low light...something I have to deal with a lot. The R5 has more pixels...better cropping ...both have the same updated focus system...The good thing for me is with the adaptor...my f/4 400 DO Mk 2 will fit. What I would like to know is...Will either camera be better than what I have(Canon 1DX Mk2)...The only thing I struggle with at the moment is BIF with the 2x attached...I get results but I would like more keepers, locking focus aint easy....Will my f/4 400mm DO Mk 2 with the 2xiii attached 'work' better with the new focus system on the R5 and R6..... To sum it up...What camera, if any, would be better than my 1DX Mk2 and why.....

Thanks in advance

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm in the same boat for an eventual replacement to my camera body, whenever that comes. When they become more common in stores, perhaps trying both with your lenses would be best (although I realize there are rarely any flying birds in stores ha ha). I've always had crop sensor cameras, but the R5 is tempting. Plus rumours of "R" 1D and 7D-type bodies on the way too! Decisions, decisions....

3. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

R6 for you Will, no question because of the light, but as you don't really push ISO then the R5 comes back into play. Both work extremely well with existing EF lenses and I doubt you would see any difference, I can't You do need to set the camera up correctly, as there are more options and not via 'committee' ie where folk watch truck loads of stuff and set things up with a pinch of this and a pinch of that, a bit like PP, otherwise you won't get the benefit, keep it simple. I would strongly suggest you get the battery grip and additional battery, as it chews up battery life quickly. The control ring is also and option where you can use it to add another customisation to the camera, but doubt that would be of benefit. Also you may need to think about a card reader too, or just plug the camera in, but do the connects work with your computer....

Remember, if you go for the R5 you will have larger files, so think about the PP side, process capacity, storage etc and you need to have the latest software too.

Are you PX the MK2 or 5D4? Wait times are currently long, so get yourself on the waiting list ASAP!

R-1D very tempting Dan, but at what price, plus I would think that's more a 2021 launch and Will, the longer you wait the depreciation drops.... decisions decisions indeed.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

5. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What news Will, have you come to a decision????????
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Going to wait a wee while Steve....Wait for more reviews from BPN...some of the reviews on the net, don't really let me know what I want to know or to believe in...I think when members on here start using the cameras regularly, then I will make a decision ...Plenty time...happy with what I have just now.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, what specifically do you want to know? If you want to call me, then do so, but based on your needs, IMHO the R6 no question. Folk latch onto the R5, but is it right for them????? If you are thinking about the R1, perhaps April '21 for more news, but have very deep pockets, I think you are looking at around £7.5 - 8.4k!!!!

Canon were offering 48 tests, YOU have to try it, reviews are reviews, that is why I asked, what specifically do you want it to do to fit your requirements, once you know that, you have a clearer choice and it's 'fit for purpose'.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve... I sold the Mk4 a few months ago, as I was never using it....I now have the 1DX and the 1DX Mk2...If I was to get the R5 I would have to PX ...If I go for the R6 I wouldn't...But then, having 3 cameras, it would make sense that a PX with the 1DX I think...I really like my Mk2 and also my 1DX....Is the R6 going to be better for me..Is it going to be any better than what I have....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yep!

You only post files on Social media, Y/N?
    Tend to shoot in dry ish conditions, Y/N?
    Prefer better ISO in low light, Y/N?
    Keep files to a smaller size for PP, Y/N?
    Do not shoot video, Y/N?
    Have a slightly better buffer rate 188, or 233 (ish)
    Perhaps 0.5 more stops
    Price saving

Just a few questions...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Probably Yes to all questions apart from video, as I never use it....So yes I see where you are coming from...The R6 is for me

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would strongly suggest you ‘test drive’ it prior to buying just to make sure. There are more questions & answers that you need to think about, and... if funds permit perhaps go for both? It’s all about what suits, not if so and so has it then I need it, these two are very similar, but with some key differences. New deliveries should have the new Firmware that should be available soon.

Prices are level, no one is offering any deals, but supplies are drip fed, get onto the ladder, no commitments, just make sure it’s right and is it a game changer compared to what you have.

13. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Merhaba William,

iki ay önce R6 aldım. 400f4do2 ile kullanıyorum. 1dx2'den geldim. Buna alışmam biraz zaman aldı. uyum çok iyi. alışana kadar zor En iyi 1dx2 gibi sekmiyor (Af)

Bana göre eksik olan tek şey mp. R6 20mp. ancak 1,6 kırpma modu 7mp. Çok düşük. R5 1.6 kırpma modu 17mp. iyi. Kesinlikle 400f4, do2+1.6crop R5 ile harika olurdu. 640mm+1x4tciii çok çok iyi. frimware 1.5.0 bomb (super)

Kuşlara yaklaşabiliyorsanız R5 gerekli değildir.