Thread: Spotted Hyena ( Kruger National Park)

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Spotted Hyena ( Kruger National Park)

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

Could not make up my mind which Spotted Hyena image to share as I have quite a few from this sighting. Slipped up here a bit in terms of SS, but quite liked the pose

It was slightly overcast that day. In fact the light was constantly changing and my subject moved around from light shade to deep shade. At times she made eye contact, albeit briefly. She seemed distraught and let out certain moaning calls I have never heard before. Every now and then she sniffled the ground as if looking for something.

We were unable to figure out what caused her distress, perhaps it was the presence of a snake or scent of another predator. My first thought was that one of her cubs disappeared...But that is unlikely, because the species only have two functional nipples and rarely succeed in lactating three cubs.

Talking about cubs, when we arrived at the scene we noticed two little ones being led away by a few clan members, they were probably moving them to a safer location. Mama hyena stayed behind for a while. She was in very good shape, surprisingly her ears were still intact and she had very few scars. A slight limp from one limb but hardly noticeable.

I really love the species, so for me a huge privilege to be able to spend time with them in the wild and learn about their behaviour. I have lots of images for you... hope you won't get bored with my threads

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO 4000
    F8
    +1/3EV
    1/640s
    Used bean bag as support

Processed in LR and PSCC, and it's FF

Thank you so much for your time to view, your kind comments, and RP's on my previous images - always appreciated

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, seems the Heyen's have been queuing up for you, think someone has having a word with them for you.

She seemed distraught and let out certain moaning calls I have never heard before. Every now and then she sniffled the ground as if looking for something.
    The gaze conveys this very nicely.

I'm not sure as I'm using the MBP, but perhaps some a Curves Midtone on the Heyena, then darken the whole BKG ? I might then loose the green foliage, but your call, just a thought.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you very much Steve,

Indeed, luck has played its part on this last trip. But must admit I owe a great number of sightings to Carl whose tracking skills and knowledge of animal behaviour supersedes mine by far. If there's a leopard out there he will track it...and find it.

I just go on every trip filled with hope...

Back to your comments and suggestions, I like your idea very much - thank you!

WDYT? A bit rough but done quickly...still busy sorting out some issues on PSCC. I am afraid some of the greens are still there, but...am I going in the right direction?
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Indeed Carl is a great guy and a bit like a bloodhound when it comes to tracking.

I like the Hyena now, BKG going are darker, hard, it can work both ways now that you have added some MT, well done.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much Steve Already working on the next one

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice portrait. The framing and pose are right on. I like the look on the hyena. Image quality looks quite nice.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed Gabriela, I especially like your repost, it certainly looks better, I like the tones and perception of improved sharpness.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, its a superb portrait and the look on the hyena's face says it all. Very nice details and the RP is great! Never get bored of any your images!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much dear John, Jon and Sanjeev

Hope you have a lovely week-end, I shall be back with more images soon!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ... a nice and solid portrait !!!
    I do like the overall image already in the OP , the RP makes it even better .
    I do not mind the greenery ... as a personal note , I think it does tend a tiny bit too much to the warmer side of life ... for the given light situation . But this a very subjective thing and might be just me .
    Great to hear your story's and I can just agree about Carl , if you meet him .... say hi to him from the sleepy grey socked German fella

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- No problems with your OP, it was as good as it could have been. Fantastic details , that snout of Hyena looks life like , amazing IQ .

RP has definitely taken it up a notch but i am good with OP .

This is a fantastic image , well done.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Haseeb,

Glad you liked this, thank you so much for feedback. There's always room for improvement so I am trying my best

Have a great rest of the week,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Gabriela ... a nice and solid portrait !!!
    I do like the overall image already in the OP , the RP makes it even better .
    I do not mind the greenery ... as a personal note , I think it does tend a tiny bit too much to the warmer side of life ... for the given light situation . But this a very subjective thing and might be just me .
    Great to hear your story's and I can just agree about Carl , if you meet him .... say hi to him from the sleepy grey socked German fella

TFS Andreas

Thank you Andreas,

My apologies, only realised now that I have not replied to you. Shall send your regards to Carl when I see him on Saturday

And I will try send you a WhatsApp with a small video from this sighting

Have a great rest of the week,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the way you composed the image Gabriela, the pricked up ears and the grin shows that she is focused on something. Beautiful detail in the fur on the face. I really like that tuft of hair between her ears, its probably raised when the hiena is excited about something. Very fascinating predators, I remember reading a book about a pack in the Ngorongoro crater when I was a kid. I think the BG matches the color of the hiena.

15. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much Dan, very kind words, much appreciated!
    Gabriela Plesea