Thread: The Fly Catcher 2 Wilsons Phalarope

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Fly Catcher 2 Wilsons Phalarope

Attached Images Attached Images

This was shot back in July in a Nd slough before the water dried up. Went through some files today and was really amazed at the number of flies she caught. I would say eighty percent of the time she was really crouched low. Even lower than the one yesterday. Never really stood up much.
    I missed quite a few too. Some my fault others HA was off or she turned ninety degrees away.Would like to thank everyone for yesterdays comments. Jonathan I did reduce the reds,orange on this one and added some blacks.
    Processed with Dpp 4,Photoshop, Cleaned up some of the black spots in the water.Thanks for comments and critiques.
    Canon 1DX 111
    500 f/4 L IS
    700 mm
    AV 6.3
    1 /2500
    ISO 1000

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the head extension and the bug in the mouth and the reflection.
    Exposure is spot on and the whites on the throat are good.
    Would love to see this bird in real life.
    I feel like the processing is a bit off on this- the image looks oversharpened and "coarse" if that makes sense. Is this a big crop? Maybe too much contrast? Harsher light?
    I just can't quite put my finger on what it is I am seeing. Hopefully others can chime in and agree or disagree with me!
    Gail

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gail ,I would like to get it better. I don't know what it could be crop isn't large. I thought it might be harsher light but went back to the file and it could be some of that quit shooting around 6:40 am usually by seven am it is getting quite strong.I didn't add any contrast and I don't think I over sharpened.
    I think the feathers are worn and it is transitioning or molting as she has lost some of the breeding colors .I'm sure someone else or you could do a better processing job.Be interested in what others have to say Again Thanks I really do appreciate your input.Your processing skills are spot on.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the pose, reflection and colors overall. TFS

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Kevin, I like the framing, low POV and the overall pose, but feel the image lacks the sharpness & detail, it also appears very contrasty. The eye and bill look very solid, loosing detail, so I get the impression you may have 'pinched' the histogram in Levels, if you have, then back off or switch off that adjustment in the layers? Opening up the image, addressing Contrast starts to help the image, but the whites are not great. I might go a tad cooler on the Temp, and more green on the Tint to reduce the magenta.

Kevin, the attached hopefully my clarify my points based on your post, so working on the raw would be far greater.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve for the comments . I haven't been using levels just curves.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like both versions. Nice to have the full reflection. I do wish for a bit more above though, but cool behaviour you got here.