Thread: Townsend's v2 - R5 style

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Townsend's v2 - R5 style

Name:  20201006-R5-Townsends-Solitaire-orange-Brian-SumpBMS_0590-FORUM-SIG-USM50_.3-final-reseizedweb.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  585.8 KB

First day with the Canon R5 (last week). Must say, it's a steep learning curve with all the settings and I'm still getting it dialed in and learning how to balance color in LR.

Was able to return to Red Rocks and capture another Townsend's Solitaire - this time on top of the juniper branch with a courteous, camera acknowledging look back. Instead of a purple hue, this time more orange for a different flavor.

Still long way to go but the MILC is a welcome addition thus far. I need to do some firmware updating and make sure the 1.4x is functioning properly and hopefully the keeper rate will increase. I know several Avian shooters are getting 80% + keeper rate with the Animal Eye Detection...

Canon R5
    600mm IS iii + 1.4x
    Handheld
    ISO 1250
    1/3200
    f5.6

LR and PS. Cleaned up a couple juniper ends near the head and cloned one sticking up at bottom.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loverly bird and BKGR. What time? It looks as if the sharpest focus was in front of the eye. If you would like, shoot me a link to your master file via a large file service.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian, I think a portrait orientation may have worked a little better from a compositional point of view. I feel the highlights are a little bright and thus obscuring detail theirin, to some extent the converse to the darker tones. With a subject such as this I would be inclined to keep things simple and retain personal control, i.e. single small focus point bang on the eye. Auto detection this and that with the latest cameras is all well and good but if the point isn't where you want it then what's the point? I appreciate technology marches on but sometimes/often/usually personal skill will trump auto settings and once the auto shot has been taken the moment may pass before you can get the "correct" setting. I do not imply all auto settings are not reliable but with something so critical as focus I would not tend to leave it to something out of my control.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

From what I've read, FW vers 1.1.1 is a must. Another beautiful BG, pose and perch. The slightly harsh light/angle is against you here which you handled fairly well. I'm curious where the AF point is in this frame. Looking forward to many more...

ps
    You might want to check out "whistling wings photography" on youtube. He is a former Sony A9, A9II and A7RIV user mostly for BIF who has recently moved to the R5. He has reviewed and has many images for both the RF 100-500 and the EF 600/1.4xtc combo with the R5 body. Has answered all my questions kindly.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Loverly bird and BKGR. What time? It looks as if the sharpest focus was in front of the eye. If you would like, shoot me a link to your master file via a large file service.

with love, a
    Artie, thank you. Was about 745am, roughly 40 min after sunrise but really about 20 min after the sun crested over the mountain.

Below is the focus point. As mentioned, I have been shooting on a previous firmware until last night at which point I realized you could update the lens firmware, which I did. I anticipate this will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Brian, I think a portrait orientation may have worked a little better from a compositional point of view. I feel the highlights are a little bright and thus obscuring detail theirin, to some extent the converse to the darker tones. With a subject such as this I would be inclined to keep things simple and retain personal control, i.e. single small focus point bang on the eye. Auto detection this and that with the latest cameras is all well and good but if the point isn't where you want it then what's the point? I appreciate technology marches on but sometimes/often/usually personal skill will trump auto settings and once the auto shot has been taken the moment may pass before you can get the "correct" setting. I do not imply all auto settings are not reliable but with something so critical as focus I would not tend to leave it to something out of my control.

Jon, thanks for chiming in. Regarding portrait orientation, good suggestion however I tried it and it doesn't work for me here primarily because in order to keep the juniper branch on the right in the frame you have to extend the crop out right. Then it leaves you very little room left for the subject to look into. Didn't look as nice cutting off that branch IMO.

As you can see below, the focus point was very close. Keep in mind I agree that user control will ultimate need to be applied, or shall I say user input. But this was my first day and it's quite a stark adjustment between settings, EVF, how the focus point locks, viewfinder brightness and live histogram, etc. Plus, apparently I was on the old firmware.

I certainly understand your point of view as it pertains to bringing out details by 'lifting' darks and shadows and reducing lights. I definitely apply that methodology to a degree in PP as it has merit. As I have had ongoing conversations with Steve, there is a tradeoff between getting details and losing contrast. Consider what the human eye sees; perhaps some of us err on the side of more contrast in here for the sake of beauty but the eye certainly sees contrast. How much fine feather detail does the human eye see?

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    From what I've read, FW vers 1.1.1 is a must. Another beautiful BG, pose and perch. The slightly harsh light/angle is against you here which you handled fairly well. I'm curious where the AF point is in this frame. Looking forward to many more...

ps
    You might want to check out "whistling wings photography" on youtube. He is a former Sony A9, A9II and A7RIV user mostly for BIF who has recently moved to the R5. He has reviewed and has many images for both the RF 100-500 and the EF 600/1.4xtc combo with the R5 body. Has answered all my questions kindly.
    David thanks. You mean FW vers 1.1.3 correct? That is what I updated to last night as the lens came with 1.1.2 and didn't produce near the number of sharp files I would expect.

I watched several of Ron's videos prior to purchasing. Actually have spent a lot of time watching videos from guys like Ron, Jan Wegener, etc and hours and hours on Fred Miranda talking to Pius, Geoff and Rob who are using this body with brilliant results.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 8.36.47 AM.png
Views: 89
Size:  493.1 KB

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Just wanted to say congrats on your new camera which is foreign to me for now...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Just wanted to say congrats on your new camera which is foreign to me for now...
    Thank you Ann!

Foreign meaning not in the cards for you at this point?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Enjoyed reading the back story. I have ordered the R5 and am anticipating a November delivery.
    I too, have watched Ron's and Jan's video and have been lurking on Fred Miranda listening to "the boys" chat.
    I have to say I am a bit apprehensive about this new camera but it will be a good challenge for the brain.
    Now back to your image!
    I think your choice of crop is perfect- room on the left to look into and room on the right for the stem to curve into.
    I love the BG colors and the juniper with berries.
    I agree that the eye is not tack sharp but that really is a minor nit pick. I think that had you been at f 7.1, all problems would be solved!You had lots of SS.
    Looks like you are climbing the steep learning curve just fine!
    I expect I will be posting a few "dogs" as I learn this new system!!
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The background color on this one is beautiful. I like the perch and the look back pose.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    Enjoyed reading the back story. I have ordered the R5 and am anticipating a November delivery.
    I too, have watched Ron's and Jan's video and have been lurking on Fred Miranda listening to "the boys" chat.
    I have to say I am a bit apprehensive about this new camera but it will be a good challenge for the brain.
    Now back to your image!
    I think your choice of crop is perfect- room on the left to look into and room on the right for the stem to curve into.
    I love the BG colors and the juniper with berries.
    I agree that the eye is not tack sharp but that really is a minor nit pick. I think that had you been at f 7.1, all problems would be solved!You had lots of SS.
    Looks like you are climbing the steep learning curve just fine!
    I expect I will be posting a few "dogs" as I learn this new system!!
    Gail
    Gail, first off thank you for the comments on the image. Upward from here hopefully :-)

Second, awesome to hear you took the leap! I spent some time chatting with Pius this week trying to get situated. This is such a cool camera with so much potential. Hopefully by the time you get it I'll have figured some things out...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Brian, I've been a bit behind my critiquing of late, but wanted to say congratulations on the new gear! I am glad to hear of many being very happy with the R5 (and R6), and especially that the adapters work flawlessly as well. My 7DII is getting long in the tooth, and has accumulated a lot of mileage, so all this mirror-less talk is getting me anxious for an upgrade whenever that happens (could be a while, or maybe not).

Not much to add to the image itself. I like the comp as-is, bit would be OK with a bit more room all around. I love the bit of buff on the wing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Hey Brian, I've been a bit behind my critiquing of late, but wanted to say congratulations on the new gear! I am glad to hear of many being very happy with the R5 (and R6), and especially that the adapters work flawlessly as well. My 7DII is getting long in the tooth, and has accumulated a lot of mileage, so all this mirror-less talk is getting me anxious for an upgrade whenever that happens (could be a while, or maybe not).

Not much to add to the image itself. I like the comp as-is, bit would be OK with a bit more room all around. I love the bit of buff on the wing.
    Thanks for chiming in Daniel! Comments received.

Looks like you're still getting some quality shots with the 7DII but indeed the output of shots with the R5 from those who are experienced with it is quite intriguing. Would love to see one in your hands soon.