Thread: Fly Catcher 1 Wilsons Phalarope

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fly Catcher 1 Wilsons Phalarope

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot this back in July in Nd . The slough was about dry as we are in a drought water is only a few inches deep.I was using my floatable blind in all actuality I was pushing it through the muck.I was about ready to quit that morning because of the bright sun when this female Phalarope showed up.
    I bet I shot her for over twenty minutes. I was just so tired as I was bent over on my knees in the blind very uncomfortable. I could only shoot for twenty to thirty seconds then would have to straighten up as I would be shaking so bad.She was still catching flies when I left.
    Amazing she laid down all most the whole time would occasionally stand up. Lots of frames where she turned or I missed focus. At one point I bet I was within ten feet.Processed with Dpp 4,Photoshop,neat image bird only. Comments and critiques appreciated.
    Canon 1DX 111
    500 f/4 L IS
    700 mm
    Av 5.6
    1/3200
    ISO 1000

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin, a nice low POV and the partial reflection adds to it a lot. Nice colors.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kevin, agreed on the pov. Apparently the subject wanted a low pov too :-)

Great HA, open mouth with food is excellent. Very unique setting and love how the reflection reveals gradually below.

Again, 16x9 crop works well. I wonder if it would benefit from moving the subject and horizon down in frame a bit? Good with it as is also.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great frame. I love it as presented. Perfect head angle and as mentioned, the low perspective is mega and the partial reflection is lovely as well. To my eye, a crop from the bottom as suggested by Wesley would hurt the compositional balance.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kevin I think you have captured the scene well your perseverance has paid off. I am obviously looking differently from the three previous viewers, I feel the colours are rather dense and also on the blue side, the blacks are certainly carrying a lot of blue. I would be inclined to chack colour temp/balance, reduce contrast a little and if using DPP knock off the orange a peg or two also.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Kevin, kudos to you for your efforts and twisted body to capture the many images of the phalarope. Love the POV, perfect HA, prey in beak and the habitat. Well done, wonderful.