Thread: Lion Portrait ( Kruger National Park)

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lion Portrait ( Kruger National Park)

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

Tonight I am sharing a simple image of one of my favourite species, taken in the Kruger National Park last month. It was a lovely encounter and my companion and I had the opportunity to listen to this male lion roar in close proximity.

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 4000
    +2/3 EV
    F5.6
    1/2000s

Processed in LR and PSCC. FF.

Thank you kindly for viewing and for your comments on my previous images, I really appreciate it

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Outstanding!

I love everything about this and great to see you pushing ISO too.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning portrait, love the details and the perfect colours! Clean BG and soft light. I love it! T F S.
    Cheers

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super subject = my favourite animal since childhood! Details and colours look very impressive, the cropped body looks excellent.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi little sister
    Lovely portrait with a soooo pleasing BG .
    This chap posed nicely for you and you took the chance to get the shot .
    All works for me in terms of technical stuff and processing ... i do see some potential for slight tonal adjustments in the subject , but this is just more a thing of playing rather than improving .

If you have a tiny bit more space on top of the frame would not hurt , in my eyes .

Enjoyed viewing

TFS Andreas

PS ... Iso 4000 , well is it not somehow a normal value in todays world ??? Specially with the D5 or 1Dx II and upward !!!
    As if well exposed , NR is not even necessary ...IMHO .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous frame, what a handsome chap.

You have done a superb job here , loved it all the way.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Friends, your comments are very kind, much appreciated.

Steve, you were absolutely right about ETTR, glad you reminded me before I left for Kruger. I watched that histogram religiously. Thank you for all the advice and help, just priceless

Sanjeev and Andreas, I was really lucky here in terms of BG. Especially since I struggled throughout the entire trip, shooting just about every subject between sticks and shrubs and stones! This male walked towards the vehicle, settled in a nice little clearing only metres away and started roaring

Unfortunately no more at the top, but I can add

Jon, the Lion is my favourite too Up to this day, if someone asks me why I came to Africa I say it's because of the lions. But maybe that's not the whole truth...Should say it's because of the lions, leopards, hyenas, wild dogs, cheetahs, rhinos, eles, the list is endless...

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, glad Capt. Conscious was there, but I think it was more Andre whispering too you. I think you have turn a major corner recently and now have some more encounters to get your eye in which I’m very envious of, I just get to play with the new cameras sadly.

Have a great weekend and perhaps even some new encounters too, I’m looking for the pride having a glass of Pinotage... (sorry folks, a little in house joke).
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful frame of this lion. What's not to like here. If i had one nit it would be for a touch more above. Cool you got to hear him roar.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, so glad you mentioned Andre tonight - I am forever grateful to him, for he placed the first camera in my hands in 2009 and taught me how to use it

A few years later (2012) we met an amazing man by the name of Allan Booysen who became a close friend. Allan taught us the importance of light in photography. I still remember sitting in our vehicles at a lion kill in the Kalahari: Andre and I were shooting the most exciting scenes with members of the pride dragging the carcass of an eland and fighting over it...but in deep shade! Allan was aiming his camera at a lazy lioness few metres away and made sure light was behind him...When he showed us his images over a glass of wine that evening we were blown away: they were absolutely stunning and detail was awesome. That moment was such an eye opener for me, having realised that often it's not what one photographs... but how one does it

In 2013 we joined BPN and you started guiding us both, from day one, not only in terms of processing but also work in the field. A huge learning curve as I battled with SS, then DoF, awkward compositions, all kinds of things. Still learning

Sadly, Andre left this world in 2016, his images and conversations with you and BPN members a wonderful reminder of his enthusiasm, love and respect for wildlife and desire to learn. I still have this exercise book he left behind, and it has only two chapters: "Steve" and "Andreas". Everything you two shared with him is in there...

Well that's all from me for tonight, and I hope you have a wonderful week-end, Steve. Our pride is out there and I am sure a glass of Pinotage will help you find it

Warmest regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 10-16-2020 at 03:09 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

11. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's lovely when everything comes together Gabriela, no need to say anything more.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    It was a lovely encounter and my companion and I had the opportunity to listen to this male lion roar in close proximity.

Nikon D5

ISO 4000
    ISO4000.............A complete doddle for the D5, good to see you starting to open up the ISO here, you can push that baby far more, as I've been trying to get you to do.
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 10-16-2020 at 08:16 PM.

13. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a beautiful portrait.
    IQ rocks. Great BG and perfect head turn.
    Absolutely no nits from me except I wish my name was on it!
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great to see you venturing into Wildlife Gail, come on, you must have some little treasures/gems you can share with us.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Simply...'Probably one of the best Lion Portraits I have seen on here'.

Congrats

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Gail and William, glad you popped in here, much appreciated
    Gabriela Plesea