Thread: Anna's Hummingbird

George Scott

Default Anna's Hummingbird

Attached Images Attached Images

This is my first posting to the forum, and I could think of no better subject than my local tough guy hummer. This is one of the Anna's hummingbirds that overwinter in the Seattle area, and this image was captured during last years deep freeze when we were in the low teens F. I was lucky enough to have him perch for a minute before I froze

Nikon D50
    80-400VR
    400mm
    1/500sec
    f/5.6
    ISO 400
    Flash TTL-BL -1.0EV

Fabs Forns

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi George,

Big welcome to BPN, hope to be able to help you improve your skills :)

Lucky you to have a Hummer close by, not an easy thing around my neck of the woods.

I cropped a bit differently, shorten the perch (you don't have to do that if your ethics are against it) and selectively sharpen the head some more.

Exposure look good to me and so does the background.

Linda Robbins

Hi George, and welcome to BPN!

You've captured a beautiful hummingbird in a very nice pose, with a beautiful clean background. The perch is cute too. It is a lovely image, but I think a little more depth of field would have been desirable here. It is difficult to get the gorget iridescence with just one on camera flash unless the angle is just right, but you managed to get some along the side in this image. You might try a little more sharpening, and a shadow highlight adjustment to bring out a bit more detail in the gorget and the top of the head.
    Amazing that these fragile looking, tiny birds survive in such low temperatures isn't it!

Linda Robbins
    lindaasart@aol.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Linda's suggestions were right on and Fabs' repost was excellent, esp. adding canvas on the bottom and lengthening the perch. I though I was gonna hate the perch when I saw the thumbnail, liked it in your version, and love it (longer) in the re-post.

Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image and Fab's redo puts it over the top. Thanx for sharing.

Axel Hildebrandt

Welcome, Scott. Very nice image and I hope you like the repost as much as I do.

George Scott

Many thanks Fabs for the repost, it makes the image *much* better. I completely agree with everyones comments and suggestions, and look forward to learning from you all!

George