Thread: theme: double dose

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default theme: double dose

Attached Images Attached Images

Found this perch in my brush pile yesterday and did a set-up in the rain. With flat light it was easy to utilize the Fall colors in the BG... I am delighted that the purple finches are here (day 5) and my goal was to photograph them. These are the two females that share company with the two males in my yard. Looks like adults and juveniles as the plumage is darker on both "parents?". Compared to house finches, I can clearly see both the more blockier head and the tell tale sign of the deep notched tail feathers on the purple finches... Although the top finch is not as sharp, I think it is still acceptable in this frame. When the second finch flew in it was "spray and pray" and out of 21 images, here is one where both had HA's I really liked.

De-noised, sharpened,

D5
    600mm

ISO 2500
    1/640

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Knew this was coming, my friend. Wonderful canvas with great perch, BG and framing. They both look plenty sharp to my eye. TFS

ps
    Those BG colors...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann, I like the image. The Bittersweet gives a nice splash of color. Two birds is a bonus. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see the Purple Finches. Beautiful setup, colors, bg. It would also make a lovely shot if you eliminated the upper bird.

After commenting the other day that I have almost never seen a Purple Finch on my feeders, I had a female snacking on my Lyric Supreme at lunchtime today. Alas, no beautiful setup, just a bird on a feeder; but nice to see one here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ann, another pretty frame. You've got a nice set up in the backyard!

I would love to shoot some PF's and have enjoyed your posts. For me the upper one is just a bit too oof but fun to see both perched together.

Did you happen to clone out the ends of the upper branches?

Have more? Hope so...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Ann, another pretty frame. You've got a nice set up in the backyard!

I would love to shoot some PF's and have enjoyed your posts. For me the upper one is just a bit too oof but fun to see both perched together.

Did you happen to clone out the ends of the upper branches?

Have more? Hope so...
    Hi Brian thanks for your comment. No I didn't clone the ends of the upper branches, they were like that, cleaned up a lil piece of paper bark on the top left one

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Hi Brian thanks for your comment. No I didn't clone the ends of the upper branches, they were like that, cleaned up a lil piece of paper bark on the top left one
    Very good Ann

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pleasing image, the higher bird is more dominant in the image I think I would have chosen to focus on that one but it is really interesting to look at.
    I know I keep harping on but what is the point of posting such tall images? Can anyone get the image on their screen? Resizing it does not really reflect the true image quality does it?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the birds and the berries and the whole image. The upper bird is noticeably less sharp than the lower one. Working large, I selected the bird with the Quick Selection Tool and ran Topaz Sharpen AI at Auto. To my eye this was amazingly effective. I will post the Sharpen AI screen capture in the next Pane.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Topaz AI Sharpen AI is simply amazing. If it did this well on a 1920 wide JPEG, impinge how good it would have done on your master file. All with zero crunchiness.

Great Topaz News!

Folks who use the BAA Topaz link to purchase Sharpen AI, DeNoise AI, or the Utility Bundle (or any other Topaz plugins) will receive a 15% discount by entering the ARTHUR15 code at checkout. To get the discount you must use my link and you must enter the discount code. Be sure to start with this link.

Topaz Stuff

As I said in the blog post here, and have said often many times before, I should have listened sooner. If you, like me, are new to the Topaz party, please use this link to purchase. Right now I can wholeheartedly recommend both Topaz Sharpen AI and Topaz DeNoise AI. Though I have not yet worked with JPEGtoRAW AI or Gigapixel AI, I have installed both of these plug-ins and look forward to trying them on some I-Phone 11 images fairly soon. If you are thinking like me, consider the Utility Bundle that includes all four plug-ins mentioned above at a money-saving price.

You can learn more about Sharpen AI in the blog post here.

Again, those who purchase Sharpen AI or DeNoise AI using my link, can e-mail to request a short Getting Started with Topaz e-Guide. I had a bit of trouble getting the two plug-ins installed and having them appear in the Photoshop Filter Menu. In addition, I will explain how to best learn about the two plug-ins by applying them on a Layer (in Photoshop). Please include a copy of your Topaz order when requesting the guide.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Pleasing image, the higher bird is more dominant in the image I think I would have chosen to focus on that one but it is really interesting to look at.
    I know I keep harping on but what is the point of posting such tall images? Can anyone get the image on their screen? Resizing it does not really reflect the true image quality does it?
    So check out the image quality at full viewing and then hit command minus (at least on a Mac) to enjoy the whole image.

with love, a

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, in Windows 10 right click on the image and choose Open Image in Another Tab, then open the new tab. It will show the whole image to fit the screen.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi Jon, in Windows 10 right click on the image and choose Open Image in Another Tab, then open the new tab. It will show the whole image to fit the screen.
    Thanks Jo but as such the image is not being viewed optimally i.e. as it was created, it has been resized - so I am still at a loss what is the benefit of posting images that do not fit the screen??? To look critically I download the image and look in PSCC.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks Jo but as such the image is not being viewed optimally i.e. as it was created, it has been resized - so I am still at a loss what is the benefit of posting images that do not fit the screen??? To look critically I download the image and look in PSCC.
    Jon, what is the sizing that works for you?
    this was 1800x1200

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Topaz AI Sharpen AI is simply amazing. If it did this well on a 1920 wide JPEG, impinge how good it would have done on your master file. All with zero crunchiness.

Great Topaz News!

Folks who use the BAA Topaz link to purchase Sharpen AI, DeNoise AI, or the Utility Bundle (or any other Topaz plugins) will receive a 15% discount by entering the ARTHUR15 code at checkout. To get the discount you must use my link and you must enter the discount code. Be sure to start with this link.

Topaz Stuff

As I said in the blog post here, and have said often many times before, I should have listened sooner. If you, like me, are new to the Topaz party, please use this link to purchase. Right now I can wholeheartedly recommend both Topaz Sharpen AI and Topaz DeNoise AI. Though I have not yet worked with JPEGtoRAW AI or Gigapixel AI, I have installed both of these plug-ins and look forward to trying them on some I-Phone 11 images fairly soon. If you are thinking like me, consider the Utility Bundle that includes all four plug-ins mentioned above at a money-saving price.

You can learn more about Sharpen AI in the blog post here.

Again, those who purchase Sharpen AI or DeNoise AI using my link, can e-mail to request a short Getting Started with Topaz e-Guide. I had a bit of trouble getting the two plug-ins installed and having them appear in the Photoshop Filter Menu. In addition, I will explain how to best learn about the two plug-ins by applying them on a Layer (in Photoshop). Please include a copy of your Topaz order when requesting the guide.
    Hi Artie, thanks for the comparison. Ideally both birds would have same sharpness, now the upper bird has the "upper hand!" I have already purchased Topaz so only had to upgrade... too bad would have liked the e-book... I will rework the master file.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I just used smart sharpen. What is the difference?
    I think is looks less crunchy than Topaz sharpen.
    Topaz sharpen is not all that..... They have some fine products but
    it is no better than the standard PS sharpen function is it?
    I could sharpen it more....

dblPUFIann2.jpg
    Last edited by dankearl; 10-15-2020 at 10:14 AM.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely frame Ann....Those red berries sure add a colour boost. I like the fact that both birds are looking in the same direction with nice HA's. I also like your choice of crop...

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dankearl View Post
    I just used smart sharpen. What is the difference?
    I think is looks less crunchy than Topaz sharpen.
    Topaz sharpen is not all that..... They have some fine products but
    it is no better than the standard PS sharpen function is it?
    I could sharpen it more.... dblPUFIann2.jpg
    My understanding is that Smart Sharpen is actually a from of sharpening. That means that if you sharpen your master file using Smart Sharpen and then sharpen your final output, the previously sharpened area will be over-sharpened. When applied to your master file, Sharpen AI acts more like out-of-camera sharpening. Not to mention that for motion-blurred or slight out-of-focus images the results are miraculous. The word on the street for years is that you cannot make an unsharp image sharper. Topaz Sharpen AI does just that. And quite miraculously.

with love, a

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent setup, Ann. Love the entire image quality, especially the the soft overcast light. Beautiful small in the frame, and I like the drops of water on the berries. Lovely background also.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Jon, what is the sizing that works for you?
    this was 1800x1200
    I would have made this 1200px tall and let the width look after itself .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The setting here is really nice with those colors of the berries and the brances. A nice frame overall.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the setting and the two little fellows, the upper one is OOF though and very tough to get sharp at the time of capture unless you do a composite. the sharpening attempts are an improvement for sure but it doesn't cut it for me, it still looks crunchy and coarse....nothing you can do when the bird is OOF

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog