Thread: Portrait Of a White Ibis

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Portrait Of a White Ibis

Attached Images Attached Images

The photo of the White Ibis was taken at the Viera Wetlands in Florida. The f-stop 4.0, speed, 1/80s, and ISO was set at 400. This photo was taken with a 500mm f4 manual focus lens and a Better Beamer for Fill Flash. I used PS CS3 to enhance this photo. Please provide with feedback. Thanks

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the eye contact, the BG and the composition, although it looks a bit over flashed and because of it has not much texture, it doesn't look much "alive" if you get what I mean. I would've tried less flash power so to play a bit more with natural light and to keep some shadows and highlights. Thanks for sharing!!

Axel Hildebrandt

Details and pose look good. I would go for a wider crop and it does look a bit overflashed. Did you dial in flash exposure compensation? There are some jpg artifacts in the BG. Keep them coming!

George DeCamp

Pretty bird, well seen! A little more room on the right would help you here.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Very pretty pose and I agree a little more room on the right would strengthen this image.. Good suggestions from above. thanks for sharing Arnold.

Gus Cobos

Very nice composition Arnold,
    I like the head angle. You have details on the wings but I see a couple of hot spots in the whites. The arch perch balances the bottom...keep them coming...:cool:

Maxis Gamez

What Axel said. Could not agree more!

Fabs Forns

Nicely composed. Did you do some Shadow/Highlight? I see a slight halo around the bill and feet.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Response to Ramón

Ramón,

I agree with your comments. I took the photo about 7:00AM mid September in Florida. I guess I should have reduce the Flash EV. ADubin

Quote Originally Posted by ramón casares View Post
    I like the eye contact, the BG and the composition, although it looks a bit over flashed and because of it has not much texture, it doesn't look much "alive" if you get what I mean. I would've tried less flash power so to play a bit more with natural light and to keep some shadows and highlights. Thanks for sharing!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pesponse to Axel

Axel, I agree with you on the cropping and the overflash. I capture this image in RAW. The noise is coming from the high ISO of 400. I used DFine 2.0 to reduce the noise as much as I could. ADubin

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Hildebrandt View Post
    Details and pose look good. I would go for a wider crop and it does look a bit overflashed. Did you dial in flash exposure compensation? There are some jpg artifacts in the BG. Keep them coming!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Response to George

George, Thanks for your comments. ADubin

Quote Originally Posted by George DeCamp View Post
    Pretty bird, well seen! A little more room on the right would help you here.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Response to Judy

Judy, Thanks for your feedback. ADubin

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Lynn Malloch View Post
    Very pretty pose and I agree a little more room on the right would strengthen this image.. Good suggestions from above. thanks for sharing Arnold.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Response to Gus

Gus, Thanks for your comments. ADubin

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Cobos View Post
    Very nice composition Arnold,
    I like the head angle. You have details on the wings but I see a couple of hot spots in the whites. The arch perch balances the bottom...keep them coming...:cool:

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Maxis, Thanks for your comments. ADubin

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Response to Fab

Fabs, Thank you very much for your comment about the halo around the Ibis’ bill & feet when you use shadows/highlights adjustments on PS CS3. I was aware that it happens when your over sharpen but not when using shadows/highlights adjustments. ADubin

Quote Originally Posted by Fabs Forns View Post
    Nicely composed. Did you do some Shadow/Highlight? I see a slight halo around the bill and feet.