Thread: Sloth Bear Head-on!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sloth Bear Head-on!

Attached Images Attached Images

A sloth bear descended from its den on a rocky hillock and then wandered about looking for something to eat, sniffed and licked some stuff off the bark and then moved cautiously in our direction. Got as low as I could to get those shot from a hide out. This is 90% of full frame.
    Daroji Sloth Bear Sanctuary, Karnataka, India.
    1DX II
    500mm f/4 L IS II USM
    Bean Bag
    1/1000
    f/7.1
    ISO 2500 Manual Exp Auto ISO

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot Sanjeev I like the composition and the bear looks great. I would suggest masking the bear and lowering the curve on the grasses and also making the stony/gravel surface darker again. - Really like it!

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Killer POV and superb walking pose from the sloth bear, Sanjeev . Love those inquisitive eyes. As well as visible nails. And those tiny flies too. It's awesome!

In terms of PP, I feel you could open up the blacks a tad (just curious, why did you underexpose here?) and decrease saturation on the blues. Framing looks good. White patch on the RHS a bit distracting.

But once again, brilliant capture Sanjeev! Enjoyed viewing, tremendously. Such great timing... that quizzical look and POV make the image for me, WOW

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great view of this sloth bear. I like the pose and the head on view. The nose on these bears in pretty long. Nice view of that claw.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone. Gabriela, I had exposed correctly but in PP pulled back a bit to reduce the HL on foreground and I thought there was a bit of clue cast so reduced blues. Will correct these issues thanks for your inputs.

8. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great encounter Sanjeev, very envious of you, well done in getting this.

OK, overall the image is tight, not much you could have done with the 500, but maybe going portrait might have been better, but it's not centrally placed. With the bear head on you will run out of DoF quickly, f/8 but even then... however nose to eyes are sharp, so again well done. Yes reducing the blues, but try adding some Clarity rather than Blacks. I would again, darken the FG and add a smidgen of Temp +2 and some Tint -4.

Watch your cloning, but the grey strip on the RHS needs to go.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

10. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a lot Steve, much appreciated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a delightful frame Doc, certainly you should have gone vertical with this one.

I liked the details and Gabriela's RP does a nice job , as lowering the blacks and contrast certainly helps.

Great encounter, TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev .... you are blessed with great opportunities at the place with the sloth bears , that place was already on my bucket list .... but never managed to get there . Maybe when the pandemic is gone and I travel to India .

Really like the head on walking image , nice job . The funny look the bear is giving us is priceless good .

I am not too fuzzed about the color / tones and details in the OP .... with that kit you should get finer details in the fur , maybe the short SS for the movement is not good to get pin sharpness in this image .
    The black fur is difficult to handle in post ... you have to nail the exposure .
    In parts the image does appear again smudgy from NR .. well at least to my eyes .

TFS Andreas

14. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post