Thread: purple finch

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default purple finch

Attached Images Attached Images

This is the male purple finch that has been in my yard for a few days and i hope he stays! I have never had purple finches in my yard before and it is such a treat. This is an area where i have intentionally created shelter by having a brush pile. I scattered some seed nearby and the finches and sparrows came to the party...

D5
    600mm

ISO 640
    f 5.6
    1/1000

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very nice detailed view. The light/angle was against you and you handled it as well as you could. Looking forward to more... TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning colors here Ann. Sure wish we had this species in my area.

As David said, light angle was against you here but still turned a nice frame.

Not sure it's possible to get much sharper and the berries add a nice splash to offset the purple/pink. Bkg is super nice too!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I think you have a nice shot there Ann but there is a bit more detail to be had, I have made an alternative for your consideration:-

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I think you have a nice shot there Ann but there is a bit more detail to be had, I have made an alternative for your consideration:-
    Hi Jon, I do see the difference in sharpness, what did you do? I think i need to recheck my processing steps bc the RAW is tack sharp... Thanks. i also noticed the increase in saturation which isn't really the color of the bird right now, more likely when in breeding plumage.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Hi Jon, I do see the difference in sharpness, what did you do? I think i need to recheck my processing steps bc the RAW is tack sharp... Thanks. i also noticed the increase in saturation which isn't really the color of the bird right now, more likely when in breeding plumage.
    Ann I have sent a PM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ann great shot and detail. I looked at this last night before any other posts. What grabbed me was the branch being too bright especially towards the left side of the frame.Same for the berries on the left. I do think the branch looks better in Jonathans version I am fine with the harsh light other than what I mention because the bird looks so great.TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lovely shot, Ann. I also thought the branch and berries were a little too bright in places. Jonathan's repost helps that, although the color of the bird may not be what you saw. Although we are besieged by House Finches, we almost never get their Purple cousins. The brush pile is a great idea.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You got some good critiques, and I agree with them. Great perch! Coincidentally, I had my very first Purple Finch in my yard last week too (actually two of them!) - they stayed for three days then of course did not show up when I finally had time to photograph them....

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I agree with the berries and birch branch being too bright and will watch for that when photographing in my yard... Four days and four PUFI!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another winner shot from your yard, Issues addressed, very nice.
    Dan Kearl