Thread: Bear Fight!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bear Fight!

Attached Images Attached Images

Two Sloth Bears come face to face and show off their canines to fend off the other at Daroji Sloth Bear Sanctuary in Karnataka, India. The aggression ended quickly as the other one gave in.
    5D IV
    70-200 f/2.8 II at 170mm
    1/1600
    f/7.1
    ISO 4000

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a moment to capture, a pretty rare sight to see and photograph when it comes to the Sloth Bears, probably the finest action shot of this specie that I have come across.

Good call on using the 70-200 to get them completely in the frame. Colours are better than the previous posting but i can see some scope for slight reduction in cyan in this as well.

FG can certainly be darken to get some depth and avoid the viewers eye from the rock in there and also the white soil.

NR appears slightly strong in the BKG , looks quite smooth.

But overall enjoyed viewing this image , loving the images from your trip, keep them coming.

TFS !

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great encounter Sanjeev, heart must have been racing here? Great to see more bears, breaks up the same old species.

Frame rate would have been better here sanjeev, but if this is a big crop then the 5D4, also ISO would be better with the DX. You did well, but having a super fast lens helped. I might just burn & dodge the FG and lift some contrast, perhaps even use some Green in Luminance & a touch of Saturation.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb and Steve. Appreciate your feedback. Steve, this is a small crop for composition. Maybe 10 or 20% max. Yes it was dramatic with some sounds too. I could hear the bears breath heavily too. I had the 500mm on the 1DX II.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes it was dramatic with some sounds too. I could hear the bears breath heavily too. I had the 500mm on the 1DX II.
    I can only imagine Sanjeev... typical with the 1DX2

I keep forgetting to ask, did you do some cloning in the BKG grass, looks very odd.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

No cloning at all Steve. Just some NR. 2 rounds. Maybe just 1 round was enough

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No cloning at all Steve. Just some NR. 2 rounds. Maybe just 1 round was enough
    But why just there with NR, just appears very odd Sanjeev and really draws the eye.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the bears Sanjeev - well done, but sorry not loving the leaves and grasses - too smudgy soft and bright.......it must have been a fantastic event to watch and photograph.

11. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic sighting Sanjeev, and well captured too!

Love the interaction and pose from both bears, especially the snarl from the chap on the RHS of the image and those visible teeth.

Techs look good. I would maybe crop a tad from the bottom ( just below the big rock) and darken the FG. Would also go back on the NR in the BG, do not think it was necessary to go this far.

I really enjoy behavioural images so this one's right up my alley thank you so much for sharing, Sanjeev!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

13. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose on the right one is great. With that mouth open wide. The shape of the head/nose on these bears is quite different from the black bears i am use to seeing. I bet this was a blast to watch.

15. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev ... what an action shot !!!
    Subjects are stunning and standing out so good in this frame , I can almost hear that growling of them .
    Looking to the frame from the technical POV , I must say the whole scene does look smudgy and lifeless in terms of tone and color ???!! Very smooth , no grain , no details .
    The bears themselves are also appearing not very sharp ...

TFS Andreas

17. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi,
    I have done a RP from scratch in ACR and then in PSCC 2020. Pl let me know if this is better in terms of colour, details.
    Cheers,
    Sanjeev

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev , as you know I am trying to be honest with my personal thoughts .

Good call to revisit the images at times . You have improved the image in some parts like the overall tones and you have more details . On the other hand now you have loads of visible noise ....... that should be addressed , but not as hefty as in OP . Wonder what you you are using to end up with such heavy smoothing . You need to check your WF !!!

TFS Andreas

20. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post