Thread: So, I got a new camer...... SQUIRREL!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default So, I got a new camer...... SQUIRREL!

Name:  20201010-R5-Squirrel-Brian-Sump-BMS_4136-FORUM-SIG-USM60_.3.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  560.3 KB

Ok, please forgive the crap backyard shot with poor depth of field.

At this juncture I am just trying to nail down a decent PP process with the R5.

If you would, critique the parts of the subject that are relevant.

TIA!

Canon R5
    600mm + 1.4x
    Handheld
    ISO 3200
    1/800
    f5.6

LR and PS, DNAI and Viveza for warmth.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Irrespective of the location Brian, getting out, practicing and trying to hone your skills is paramount, it's the only way to learn.

If you can add re crop, FF, slight crop, BIG crop always helps, as you may not have needed the 1.4 as you have the px's, just crop. The file is always better without a 1.4, it only magnifies, no moving parts, but at that distance can enhance any camera shake, was this supported ie bean bag?

The head appears reasonably sharp, but again all clouded by the darks. Mid range on the ISO and this is where knowing PP you can make some changes in camera to gain more SS, but then you would need to push the PP side and can the file take it? As presented I feel it's certainly a third of a stop under. Rather than increasing the EV you can just open the file in PP without an issue. Like the defused BKG the prime delivers, but shooting lower I feel may have offered a better angle, albeit 'test shooting', from a window? DoF looks spot on, FP looks right.

Re PP:
    - Open it up by a third
    - Reduce the Blacks etc as they are blocked
    - Look at the Histogram in the Dev module, it shows the blacks & shadows chocked, delivering zero detail
    - Reduce the blue
    - Crop at the foot and loose the OOF vegetation

Brian, always good to add your thoughts to other posts as per Avian, we suggest 3-5 to one post.

TFS
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 10-11-2020 at 04:56 AM.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve has really given some great inputs here. I like the subject and the head turn & eye. I hope you are enjoying the R5. Keep them coming.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Irrespective of the location Brian, getting out, practicing and trying to hone your skills is paramount, it's the only way to learn.

If you can add re crop, FF, slight crop, BIG crop always helps, as you may not have needed the 1.4 as you have the px's, just crop. The file is always better without a 1.4, it only magnifies, no moving parts, but at that distance can enhance any camera shake, was this supported ie bean bag?

The head appears reasonably sharp, but again all clouded by the darks. Mid range on the ISO and this is where knowing PP you can make some changes in camera to gain more SS, but then you would need to push the PP side and can the file take it? As presented I feel it's certainly a third of a stop under. Rather than increasing the EV you can just open the file in PP without an issue. Like the defused BKG the prime delivers, but shooting lower I feel may have offered a better angle, albeit 'test shooting', from a window? DoF looks spot on, FP looks right.

Re PP:
    - Open it up by a third
    - Reduce the Blacks etc as they are blocked
    - Look at the Histogram in the Dev module, it shows the blacks & shadows chocked, delivering zero detail
    - Reduce the blue
    - Crop at the foot and loose the OOF vegetation

Brian, always good to add your thoughts to other posts as per Avian, we suggest 3-5 to one post.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve.

RE your feedback...

- I was shooting from my deck one story above ground level. Took the shot while I had it, but agree getting lower is ideal
    - Did brace a bit on the deck but no tripod
    - Ran several different WB scenarios in LR until I found one that I thought represented the shot. In this case, I was shooting backlit in the fairly early am hours
    - I appreciate the repost. Squirrels do have more black in the field than what I see in the RP. While it is appreciable getting more detail, how much fine detail does the human eye see in the field versus a certain amount of contrast? Perhaps in between the two
    - As you know, I post often in Avian. Just don't want to be a bullhorn here unless I can provide worthwhile feedback; certainly one a one way street afa I am concerned

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjeev Aurangabadkar View Post
    Steve has really given some great inputs here. I like the subject and the head turn & eye. I hope you are enjoying the R5. Keep them coming.
    Thanks Sanjeev. Hopefully some better processed shots to come soon :-)

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ran several different WB scenarios in LR until I found one that I thought represented the shot. In this case, I was shooting backlit in the fairly early am hours
    Hi Brian, as I have said, there are realy only three LR pre-sets as the 'starter' to your WB, the rest are pants. But choosing a pre-set is just the starting point, in no way is it definitive, you then have to tweak it, plus this is a Global adjustment. Once you are happy with the initial look, you then need to Colour manage the file, bith in LR and in PS, even again once back in LR after you selective tweaks in PS. So setting a balance of 4850k isn't the finish, just the start. Say that, you may find that a 'picture style' is closer ie Cloudy, Landscape, Daylight...

I appreciate the repost. Squirrels do have more black in the field than what I see in the RP. While it is appreciable getting more detail, how much fine detail does the human eye see in the field versus a certain amount of contrast? Perhaps in between the two
    A RP Brian is just to illustrate, in no way can it be taken as definitive, as it's addressing the OP, including any issues embedded, only being there and with the Raw file, can you make a more accurate rendition, it's just for show. The eye is amazing, but what your eye sees and you camera are poles apart, ie 'what ISO does your eyes work at', you be surprised.

- As you know, I post often in Avian. Just don't want to be a bullhorn here unless I can provide worthwhile feedback
    Doesn't need to be technical, [perhaps just what you like, or don't, even a crop.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, as far as white balance I am not just talking about color profiles. I am talking about sampling white points and tweaking tone and warmth in LR

Understood on other items

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Brian,

Really glad you are enjoying the R5 and taking every opportunity to try it out. By the way, DoF is not bad IMO and the BG looks good, subject is super cute

I am in agreement with Steve's advice in terms of PP, and in fact the steps he suggested resemble my own LR workflow Don't think I overexpose enough and often end up opening the blacks and lifting shadows, and almost always have to reduce the blues.

And no, we will never think of you as a bullhorn when you give us feedback - your opinions are very welcome, even if you just refer to the aesthetics of an image, every bit helps

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose. What kind of squirrel is this? I only see gray and red in my local. Have fun with the new gear.