Thread: Come on Gabriela...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Come on Gabriela...

Attached Images Attached Images

Spent quite a bit of time with this wee cub, as per previous images posted over the time, however here he/she was in such a hurry to catch up, that the cub subsequently bumped into Mum hesitating slightly before she leaped onto another piece of ice.

Brian, this illustrates my point of ETTR and small crops, if any, but it's a smaller sensor so it does help, however at ISO5000...

Couldn't resist the title gabriela...

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Polar bear Mum & cub (Ursus maritimus)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM HH
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/5.6 ISO5000
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop
    Processed via: LRC 9.4 & PS2020
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you, Steve So enjoyed viewing, thank you so much, cub is super cute and I love the story behind the image

You must have had great fun watching, delightful moment well captured. Frame is very well exposed and you mentioned shooting ETTR, could you perhaps describe the lighting conditions at the time?

IQ is just awesome, for relatively high ISO. Cracking detail and great techs, colour palette is superb. Have you got more images of Mom and Cub together? Maybe one or two with Mom jumping onto another piece of ice?

Just read an article on the Internet entitled "There's Way Too Little Ice in Svalbard Right Now", was looking for more information on the location and the title grabbed me. Wondering what the future holds for the species, with the loss of sea ice as result of climate change. A BBC article says Polar Bears could be lost by 2100...Why do we keep ignoring the signs?
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fine image Steve, great I Q as usual. Super colours and nice title :-) I like the framing of the little one bumping into the adult. T F S.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Big Fan of your PB images, Steve. Delightful IQ as always and Fun moment here. Caption is too good.

I always feel it must be very challenging settings to get such solid exposure and details in your images, super job as always .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks, much appreciated.

I always feel it must be very challenging settings to get such solid exposure and details in your images, super job as always .
    Haseeb, you have everything you need to know to hand, you just have to rely on that histogram, it's you best friend.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes , cant agree more, it indeed is.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The wet look is great. The detail is right on. Nice setting with the ice. Of course the moment is pretty comical as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Caught a funny moment Steve, I like the posture of the cub with the front raised foot and the texture of the wet furr plus the water driping from it. Its very well exposed so how did you set your exposure? Why ISO 5000? Did you use EC? Why f5.6? Sorry for the ton of questions:)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Why ISO 5000? Did you use EC? Why f5.6?
    Dan, ask away...

I wanted to keep SS as the subjects were on the move, 1/1600 was about the minimum (more would be nicer, but...), ditto DoF. I was already at +1EV, so SS drops, to keep SS up you have to increase ISO, hence ISO5000.