Thread: CoyOHte

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default CoyOHte

Name:  20201008-R5-Coyote-Eastlake-Brian-SumpBMS_1331-FORUM-SIG.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  573.0 KB

Hey all, first time on this side of the forum. Normally hang in Avian.

This am was testing out the new R5 when this character nonchalantly came to take a look. It was far more interested in the waterfowl I was shooting than me.

Anyhow, far from perfect but a take at ISO 6400 called for a run with DNAI, potentially saving this one. I've not processed many wildlife other than birds and it's far from all-world so feel free to tell it like it is.

Canon R5
    600mm + 1.4x
    Handheld
    ISO 6400
    1/640
    f5.6

LR and PS, DN. No trickery.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian -- Great to have you posting here and what a fine image to post. I really liked the low POV and the Coyote looks in quite a good shape. BKG is not ideal but the subject is nicely separated from the same. I don't know R5's capabilities at high ISO but IQ looks fine here , with good details in your subject . Obviously ETTR always helps when going high with ISO. I don't see much to change here, so all in all a pretty cool image.

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian, great to see you over hermit's good to spread your wings, not only in terms of the Forum, but also species, it will make you far more 'rounded' and you will have a far greater depth in knowledge.

AHHA, the R5 has finally arrive, great news, now the hard part, get it set up correctly and read the manual more than once, it's surprising how many folk don't and the silly issues that arise and they wonder why images look the way they do. There will be a few choice words when getting to grips with the buttons as you toggle between Canon & Nikon, but it's not big issue. Get to know what 'Cases' do, they have been refined far more and are there, like a lot of the new developments to aid nailing the image which it does. As Haseeb mentioned, tackle ETTR, this will aid in high ISO like this shot. Like the EOS 5D4, beyond 6400 is not ideal unless you are good in PP, seeing results at the launch even at 12,800, but doesn't compare to the R4 or 1DX MK3 because of the smaller sensor.

Overall I like the framing and low POV, getting at eye level with the subject just connects so well. As Haseeb mention the Coyote looks in good condition and has a lovely deep fur coat. I might just peg back the HL's & whites a little Brian. IMHO 'layering' the image in Wildlife works more here than in Avian creating the depth, you have some nice colours and rich tones in the BKG, so playing with the FG & BKG can give you more depth. It's not super sharp, and that could be from a multitude of things, ie high ISO, Contrast clashing with sharpening, not pin sharp at the moment of capture, or simply just starting out... but not far off Brian.

a run with DNAI, potentially saving this one.
    If you maximised the capture via ETTR that will, utilise that Histogram, DNAI is just an add on, but again must be applied at the raw stage as we have discussed.

Brian, can you pop the raw over, be good just to see, but more importantly have a look at the data set-up.

Hope to see more!

TFS
    Steve

PS Get the battery grip!!!!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very warm welcome Brian, from me too

What grabs me here instantly is the eye contact, this truly makes the image for me. And a kind of hesitation from the subject, love the expression.

Framing is great, with lots of space around the Coyote. Nice POV and HA, good colours and tonality. I would lift the blacks in LR by a tad, if this was mine. Nice thinking on DoF.

Indeed the BG looks a bit busy...but such is the environment

Let us have some more images please! And any feedback you can give us on your new gear, it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely view of this song dog. Framing is dead on. The setting is pretty nice. I like the painterly lines in the background here. Detail looks good for the techs.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and great feedback!

A couple notes:

1. I did sharpen a little more than usual with DNAI (25/20 I believe where I usually only use 6-8/6-8 on the subject if any, and then apply USM) but did not sharpen for output as I was afraid it might become a little too grainy.
    2. Yes I can see reducing blacks a bit.

The hardest part going from Nikon to the R5 is that LR does not have a great color profile for the R5. I did download the Color Fidelity profile and it seems to help a bit but there's a lot of learning in PP comparatively.

The R5 does very well with the Animal Eye and face tracking. I am still working through all the camera settings but you can actually program FIVE buttons for back button focus with five different AF scenarios (out of 9 total) which is astounding..

Still learning how spot AF compares with very close subjects and the 600mm IS iii with 1.4x. But as far as being able to track moving subject and get many more sharp shots, it's crazy compared to a DSLR or mirrorless with sub par AED (such as the Nikon Z7).

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian, from the Raw we both know that there are some small issues that can be fixed instantly, one or two will just take time and more practice with the camera, no one can expect someone who is used to one Brand, being able to slot straight into another. So the more practice the better you will become.

Use the joy stick to get the FP where you roughly need to be, then let the new wizardry kick it, it's quicker and more times it will lock on quicker.

1. I did sharpen a little more than usual with DNAI (25/20 I believe where I usually only use 6-8/6-8 on the subject if any, and then apply USM) but did not sharpen for output as I was afraid it might become a little too grainy. 2. Yes I can see reducing blacks a bit.
    Don't treat TDN as a sharpening tool, USM is probably the best, always remember you need to sharpen after cropping, fact... and for each different output. If you sharpen for a file at 1600px wide, then output another to 1m (whatever that is) you will still need to sharpen.

With LR you do, you have trust me. I will send you your file with only Black & Contrast reduce to show how much it puts in, behind the scenes.

LR does not have a great color profile for the R5.
    Not sure where this 'Profiling' stems from Brian, but seriously LR does a good job and I think its clouding things. I can understand where colours are paramount in a fine art catalogue, or make-up etc, but will folk really see the difference? But if it works for you, go for it.

I am still working through all the camera settings but you can actually program FIVE buttons for back button focus with five different AF scenarios (out of 9 total) which is astounding..
    I think you may be complicating things again, keep it simple otherwise you may just miss the shot. If I catch up with Dave next month, the guy I sent you the YouTube re the R5 I will ask him for some pointers for you.

Still learning how spot AF compares with very close subjects and the 600mm IS iii with 1.4x.
    Again, keep it simple, primarily I will only use two.

Keep shooting for the stars...
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

8. Thanks Brian Sump thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice shot my initial response was the coyote looks OK and the background looks OK, I think they could both be improved a little. I would try to separate the coyote from the background adjusting tones, I think he would benefit from a little more oomph.
    Just for curiosity did you use the mask in Topaz Denoise?