Thread: Horned Grebe

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Horned Grebe

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot this grebe back in June. I had three pairs on small slough ponds about one acre is what they prefer. I had three different pairs and this was the only pair successful at nesting. that I could verify. One pair completely abandon their site .Early on when watching this pair engaging with the breeding ritual
    they took off. I have never seen any type of grebe fly. I just figured they hadn't totally committed to this site. They were back the next day much to my surprise.
    Processed with Dpp 4,Photoshop neat image on the background.Comments and critiques appreciated.
    Canon 1DX 111
    500f/4 L Is
    700 mm
    Av 6.3
    1/1600
    Iso 4000

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kevin, this is a beautiful shot. Exposure looks great from here and love the color palette.

Bow and stern wake add a splash of additional flavor which is nice. Bird appears just a touch past you but not worth picking on that as everything else looks solid.

I like the panoramic crop and the position vertically in frame works well but might opt for just a bit more in the rear.

TFS!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the intimate view, details and colors. Pretty Much Perfect. TFS

ps
    That water, that eye...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Kevin,
    a very striking image, and the water and BG is smooth like butter! I am hoping you try to reprocess and improve the result bc this is a stellar image. My eyes see a flat color pallete on the bird, like there is a haze, could it be noise? Again, a terrific image!
    Last edited by annmpacheco; 10-08-2020 at 07:18 PM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Could be some noise Ann I did neat image on the background. I should have used ACR and used dehaze. This was shot in some early morning fog. I just didn't think this frame was that noticeable. Thanks for the comment.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice.
    Love the POV.
    In addition to adding a touch of dehaze, I would select the BG and reduce the brightness slightly or use a luminosity mask to reduce the brightness.
    Agree with Brian that a bit more room behind would be a good thing,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb. Ditto all of the positives above. I love the warn light and especially the silvery white bill tip.

with love, a

ps: you must have been stoked when creating this and even more stoked when you viewed it on your computer.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love that water color. The framing is right on. Beautiful bird.